Reno & Lake Tahoe with Brent's Parents

Trip Start May 01, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Sunday, July 13, 2008

After spending an awesome day and night in Yosemite, we woke up early this morning with a phone call that my (Brent's) parents had made their flight out of Orlando & Dallas and would be arriving in Reno, NV just after noon. As we packed up to meet them, we decided that a night in Reno would be good (I guess we didn't lose enough in Las Vegas) and then a night camping at South Lake Tahoe be pretty neat. 

Needless to say, the security people at the Reno airport weren't too impressed with us pulling up in the Beast & Eagle together.....they'd hardly even let us stop at all outside the terminal to pickup the parents. We basically had to yell "run & dive into the car" and "just throw the bags in the back"....give someone a uniform and they think they are deputy Barney Fife! So after two parents diving head-first into the Beast (thankfully no broken bones) we were off to a small commercial campground in Reno, got unpacked, changed and hit the Casino quickly. We had a great time playing cards and 1-cent slot machines for a few hours and then had a huge dinner with all-u-can-eat crab legs and more...yummy. Gotta LOVE when the parents come and buy dinner out! THANKS AGAIN MOM & DAD!!!

The next morning, a lot poorer and definitely five pounds heavier, we pulled out of Reno and headed to South Lake Tahoe and our next campground, Camp Richardson  After climbing about 8000ft through the Sierra Nevada mountains, we got to a great campsite that made up for the lack of scenery in Reno. The place was nestled in giant pine and redwood trees only a short walk from the lake. We quickly set up camp and headed down to the lake and walked along the beach, we stopped to grab a bite to eat at a great outdoor place that had some nice live music. It was a nice evening, even after Brent - being Brent of course - tried to get us all killed by some drunk bikers! After a quick stop at the Hard Rock Cafe, we got trapped in the casinos again......

The next morning was time to head back to Reno so Sheila and Skip could catch their flights home. We stopped for a great breakfast at Driftwood Cafe and were nearly late to the airport. We stayed an extra night at Camp Richardson before we headed west again. At about 11pm we were sat outside with a fire (and the laptop) when the Ranger came over and urged us inside as there was a bear!! It turned out a bear had got a little interested in the tent area because of the smell of food and had scared some campers. Brent sat poised with the camera for a n hour before we finally went to bed... no pictures of the bear....

Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: