Ouachita Mountain & Hot Springs, Arkansas

Trip Start May 01, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Denby Point State Park

Flag of United States  , Arkansas
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Another day on the road, we crossed the Mississippi River at Greenville and took scenic route 65 & 270 across Arkansas (pronounced Ar-kan-saw not Ar-kan-sas). The bridge across was great but once across the roads deteriorated unbelievably! We were rocking and rolling all the way across the state, they are building a new interstate nearby, but that did not help the contents of our cupboards which had to repacked because every time we opened them all the items fell out!

We reached the campground in the Ouachita Mountains (pronounced wash-it-tar) and booked for 3 nights as we wanted a day or 2 of not traveling. Nice site by Lake Ouachita.

The first day we went to the town of Hot Springs which has a street of really quaint Victorian bath houses from the early 1900's when "taking the water" was the vacation for the well off. It was similar to Bath in England in that respect.  We took a "Duck" ride, it sort of came free with the very expensive car park we used......  The Duck is an old 1940 military vehicle that carries troops on land and water. Kinda looks like a cross between a school bus and a boat.  The tour was OK and the water ride was fun, however, we are in the country now and Toby did not understand a word the tour guide said.
The most important part of the visit was a western store where Toby got his cowboy hat! He needed it before we headed out to the Wild West to blend in with the cowboys.
That evening we decided to take the nature walk sign posted around the campground, in 10 paces Brent was covered in cobwebs and Toby saw a HUGE snake..... so off we went back to the safety of the camper and the AC....  yes its still hot.
On our second day we ventured out on the mountain bike trail, that was posted as a moderately difficult ride......  after about 150 yards Toby's rear wheel twisted out of alignment, the bolts were not tight enough. So back to the Beast for the tool kit which was actually in the Eagle in the campground. 45 minutes later we were back at the start of the trail. About 150 yards in (or EXACTLY the same place) Toby's pedal snapped in 2 on the spindle!!! Please note, Toby's bike was put together by the bike shop, Brent's bike was put together by Toby as it came in a box. This time we drove to Walmart and they gave us new pedals, then back to the trail....  as we were now a bit disheartened we decided to ride a different section of the trail. The bikes held up this time, except for the riders who walked half of the trail too out of breath even to curse! Did I mention there is no AC on the trail?

The following day (the last in Arkansas) we hitched up the Eagle and headed north for Missouri over our first mountain pass scenic route 7. Which was actually very pretty and very green, although we are kind of getting bored with 700 billion trees now, its been nothing but trees since we left Florida.  The $2000 brakes really showed there worth for the first time.... and boy we were glad we had them!! We are not even in the big mountains of the continental divide yet!!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: