Holy cow!! I mean... Soigoi!!!

Trip Start Jun 06, 2009
Trip End Dec 01, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Japan  , Kanto,
Saturday, September 19, 2009

My flight to Tokyo from LA was the best flying experience I ever had. It might have had something to do with the great service, food, free drinks, comfortable seat, array of TV shows and movies available and the extra space business class provides. I`ll never fly more then 4 hours and not go business or 1st class again. I arrived in Tokyo and immediately made my first mistake.  I got on the wrong train. I got to where I needed but spent 10 bucks I didn't need to and took a little longer. I knew I would make many mistakes on this journey but didn't realize I would start right away. I wasn't bothered. I met my good friend Tac-san at the station and we headed to a hostel around the corner. It was night by this time and the air was warm and breezy. We dropped our bags off in our room and went out to dinner. Our room had a great view of Tokyo, being on the 18th floor and overlooking Shibuya and Akihabara. We found a nice little restaurant and shared a bunch of great little Japanese dishes. It was great to see Tac-san again and we drank and shared stories of our friends and plans.
The next day we got an early start, had, what we thought of as an American breakfast, and went to the Imperial Palace. They had free bikes to ride around the Palace, so afterward we hit some shrines and went for lunch in Akihabara.  The geeky capital of the world, we walked around and eventually thought it would be fun to check out a theme bar. This one had young woman in maid outfits, running around and shouting cute things everywhere. Only in Tokyo. We got our stuff from the hostel and headed to Tasaki, where Tac had an old friend. Ryudo is a zen monk and brought his five year old son with him to pick us up at the station. We went to his families temple where I met his mother and grandmother and grandfather. After introductions we went to dinner at a nearby restaurant. I had the most traditional Japanese dinner Ive had yet, complete with octopus and udon and a hundred other things.  Back at the Temple, we got to sleep in one of the prayer rooms and fell right to sleep, thinking of what was in store for my second day in japan. I was already overwhelmed.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: