Project Day 4

Trip Start Dec 01, 2012
Trip End Dec 23, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  , Sabah,
Thursday, December 13, 2012

Today we had another early start and at the site at about 6:50am. The plan is to get some work done in the cool of the morning but as soon as the sun comes over the horizon, it heats up ridiculously. Everybody sweats profusely. We started up shifting more dirt again today. We set ourselves the challenge of filling all the section down the side of the fence and we have a lot of clay soil to more to achieve it. So we split up into small groups and start work. Some are on the spades and shovels while others are on the wheel barrows. More are on the spreading of dirt and rocks. Zac and Dan had a go with the sledgehammer and breaking up the larger boulders. Mr Fisher has been getting a bit of a run this week in reference to his muscles and us invoking his strength to move large boulders. Stewart in particular enjoys pointing out that Thomo is no Mr Fisher!!!

This morning Dave had to remain behind in Kota Kinabalu to pick up some extra budget money we had wired to us, and had the pleasant arrival time of during morning tea. It had been a very hard run so far, and as a result everybody was profusely enjoying their break. However, a few of us had their break cut short to help bring down a very large coconut palm which was located right in the way of where we were working. Just as the team got the palm to start swaying, the cord we were using to pull it with snapped before the tree fell. In order to ensure the tree was brought down, one of the workers there tied the two pieces together and with another two firm pulls the tree was finally felled. We were greatly rewarded for our efforts she we found several young coconuts still attached to the palm, and in an extended morning tea we cracked them open and treated ourselves to the sweet succulent juice and flesh concealed within the shells.

We were lucky that the front end loader could call in again for about half an hour and shift a heap of dirt from the back piles to a pile closer for us to move to the section up the side near the fence. The good thing about this that the clay gets broken up and easier to shovel into the barrows.

It's a hard slog in the heat and humidity.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sharyn & Kerry Johnson on

Soooo happy to see another blog entry! We have become a bit obsessed with checking the blog for any updates on your adventure. You should all be so proud of the work you have done at the home. We love the photos! Great work team. Miss you DJ and love the first photo. xx M & D

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: