Day 5: Nice & Monaco

Trip Start May 20, 2013
Trip End Jun 08, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hotellerie de Plein Air "Le Mistral"

Flag of France  , Provence,
Sunday, May 26, 2013

Today I woke up at 7, had breakfast at 7:45, and then at 8:15, Kellie walked us down to the train station to begin our free day in Antibes. The majority of people (including me!) chose to take a train to Nice. It took about half an hour to walk from the campsite to the train station. The train was packed and most of us had to stand, but we did finally make it to Nice.

The first thing we did was walk down to the water. It wasn't really hot enough to swim, but I touched the water just so I could say I touched the Mediterranean Sea. Once everyone got their pictures and whatnot, we came back up to street level and a bunch of people wanted to climb a big hill to see a waterfall. After all those stairs up to Sacré Cœur, I wasn't really feeling the idea of climbing a bunch of stairs again, so I stayed back and read on a bench. The weather was perfect, and it was really nice to just sit by the water for a while.

Once the big group came back down the hill, we walked around to try to find a place for lunch. People split off into three basic groups: those who wanted a nice sit-down restaurant, those who wanted fast food, and those who wanted to go back down by the boardwalk to get sandwiches. I was one of the people who got a sandwich, and I think it was a good choice. I was only able to eat about a quarter of the sandwich, though.

After lunch, we met back up with the rest of our Contiki people and wandered around some more. A bunch of the boys went to H&M where Nicole chose outfits for them to wear to Monaco (DJ bought a bow tie). We also spent some time in a McDonald's for the free wi-fi (but their shake machine wasn't working, so I couldn't get any ice cream or a McFlurry or anything. Boo.). Eventually we made it back on the 3:38 train to Biot, which was just as packed as the one in the morning had been.

Dinner was at 5:00, and it was some kind of meat (Pork maybe?) with cheesy potatoes, green beans, and corn. Dessert was a little roll/cake type thing.

After dinner, we went straight onto the coach and into Monaco. Because of the Grand Prix just ending that day, there was nowhere to park and we had to walk really far to get to the casino. A bunch of us went inside the Monte Carlo Casino where I felt really out of place. Everything was super fancy and I just had on a t-shirt and jeans. A bunch of people combined their money to try to gamble, and after about half an hour, they just ended up breaking even again. A bunch of people lost money and a couple actually gained some.

Then I heard there was a group of people going for ice cream, so I tagged along because I never pass up ice cream. I got mango and raspberry ice cream, and it was really good. Then I went back to the meeting place and sat with the Singapore girls until it was time to go back to the hotel. I think I was in bed by around midnight tonight.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: