Day 14: Dunedin to Lake Ohau

Trip Start Aug 04, 2012
Trip End Aug 20, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of New Zealand  , South Island,
Saturday, August 18, 2012

Today, we woke up around 7, had breakfast at 8, and brought our bags to the coach at 8:45. Then we all walked over to the Cadbury chocolate factory for our included tour. They gave us a bag of free samples (peppermint, caramel, and chocolate chews, and a Freddo). They also gave us a little cup of hot liquidy chocolate during the tour. That was my favorite part. They took a group photo of us as a giant waterfall of chocolate fell from the sky, but I didn't think it was worth the $10 to buy it. On the way out, I bought a nice big thing of dark chocolate for $4.

After the chocolate factory, we all got on the coach and started to make our way to Lake Ohau. Bridget showed us the student housing in Dunedin, which wasn't exactly spectacular. We got to see the house where one of her favorite New Zealand bands (Six60) got their start. On the way, we stopped at Baldwin St., the world's steepest street. Almost everyone walked to the top, except for one person who shall not be named. I felt like I was going to die by the time I got up there.

Our next stop along the way was at the Moeraki boulders. This is where we had lunch. A bunch of people ordered fish and chips because apparently they were supposed to be really good here. All I ordered was garlic bread, but it was taking forever for some reason. Then, when they finally came to bring it out, they dropped it, so I had to wait even longer to finally get my food. Everyone was going down to the beach to see the boulders, so I just scooped my garlic bread up into a napkin and ran down to the beach.

The boulders were pretty cool because they're so strangely round. Jessie and I tried to walk around one of them to get to the other side, but then a big wave came and my feet got wet, so I ditched Jessie and ran back, haha.

Our next stop was in Oamaru. There was a big train at the Steampunk Headquarters that Bridget said we could put $2 into and it would be "the most underwhelming experience of your lives." So, of course we had to try it. It just tooted its horn, blew out some steam, and had a little bit of fire. It changed my life. We also stopped at the Benmore Dam for some pictures before finally making it to Lake Ohau.

When we got to the hotel, a bunch of us walked down to the lake and took lots of pictures and skipped rocks. Bridget said that on every tour, she's had at least one person go skinny dipping in the lake. But for some reason Mo didn't want to go with me, so we didn't do that.

Dinner tonight was awesome. We had lasagna, bread, and potatoes. Then people were having a toga party at the hotel bar. Jessie and I just went down there long enough for her to take a few pictures, and then we went back to the room to get a little bit of sleep before all the toga people came stumbling back down the hallway to wake us up.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: