Day 3: Bay of Islands to Waitomo

Trip Start Aug 04, 2012
Trip End Aug 20, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  , North Island,
Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Today, breakfast was at 6:30 and bags to coach was at 7am. We were making our way back to Auckland to pick up more people and drop off the people who were finishing their tour there. Almost everybody disappeared as soon as we got off the bus in Auckland, so I tagged along with the twins, the Carrs, and Esra to see what they were doing. Laura and I wanted food, so we went off alone and I found a ham and cheese sandwich and a Snickers bar.

Once we got back on the bus, I sat with Ketan (from South Africa), who had just joined the tour. This is also where we lost Hayden as a guide and we got Bridget, who guided us for the rest of the tour. She did a MUCH better job and actually spoke to us and explained what was going on. She went over the rest of our north island optionals with us as we made our way to Waitomo.

We actually had a 4-person room this time, so I got to room with Jessie, Kay-Marie, and Lisa. Yayyy! Almost everyone did some kind of tour of the glowworm caves tonight. I just did the short walking one ($39 NZD), but there were crazy people who did the blackwater rafting even though it was FREEZING. It sounds like they had fun, but I don't know if I would have been able to handle the cold. Apparently you get really amazing tomato soup if you do it, but I don't know if it's actually amazing or if the people eating it are so cold that they're just happy to have something warm, haha.

Anyway, my tour of the caves was really cool. It was within walking distance of the hotel, so that was nice and convenient. I had already seen glowworms in Australia, but there were a lot more of them here. At the end of the tour, we got to ride in a boat through the caves to get back to where we started. It was really dark and quiet and sort of creepy, but also pretty cool, since we could still see the glowworms during the boat ride.

By the time we started to make our way back to the hotel, it was raining, so we had to walk back in the rain. That wasn't so much fun. Apparently this is when Jessie met her Brazilian muffin man and "protected his muffin in her pocket." Oooooh.

After the glowworm tour, we paid for our optionals and then had dinner over in the conference room. The itinerary said we were supposed to be having pizza, but it was some kind of meat and potatoes with lots of gravy. It certainly wasn't pizza, but it was still good. We also got apple crumble and ice cream for dessert. Mmm. After dinner, Kay-Marie, Lisa, and I went back to the room and just hung out until we fell asleep. But Jessie stayed out, probably with the hopes of reuniting with her precious muffin man. ;D
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: