My First Night in Sydney

Trip Start Jul 18, 2012
Trip End Aug 03, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I had to leave early in the morning today while Katherine, Jo, and Carolyn were still asleep, because my shuttle to the Brisbane airport was at 6:30am. When I got down to the lobby, Jara was there with the people whose skydives were cancelled the previous day, so that they could try again. Breakfast at the hotel hadn't started yet, but Jara scored us all breakfast in a box because she's amazing like that.

My flight to Sydney was only an hour and a half, which was nothing compared to the 14 hour flight I already had under my belt. It wasn't time to check in yet when I got to the hotel, so I walked up and down Victoria St. while I waited and got a couple pictures. Apparently it wasn't the best/safest area, but it wasn't too bad during the day. I still wasn't feeling that great, so I was really relieved when it was finally time to check in to my room. It was on the seventh floor, and I could actually see the opera house and harbour bridge from my window.

Then I started to feel really sick again. I felt really hot, and every time I coughed, it came from so deep in my chest that it made me feel like I was going to throw up. I was miserable. I somehow managed to make it to the Subway across the street to get a sandwich that I didn't end up finishing, but at least then I had something in my stomach. I took a shower, thinking the steam might help with my nose, and I did a couple loads of laundry.

I was so miserable, though, that my mom convinced me to go back out and find a travelers clinic that was supposedly nearby. It took me foreverrrr to find it, but eventually I did. It cost $65 for the doctor to tell me that he didn't think it was bacterial, but he gave me a prescription for antibiotics anyway. I took them right away, and I was already starting to feel better by the following morning, so I'm guessing that means that it was bacterial after all. Mommy knows best. I went to bed around 7:30pm and slept until 8:30 the next morning. I feel bad for wasting a day in Sydney, but I think I really needed a day of rest in order to finally start to recover.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: