Onwards and Upwards

Trip Start May 08, 2006
Trip End May 06, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Singapore  ,
Saturday, March 24, 2007

"It's so damn hot! Milk was a bad choice."

As I write this, I sit in an air-conditioned cyber-cafe blissfully ignorant of the heat and the humidity outside. Singapore isn't just hot - it's 'one degree hotter and I'm my eyes will melt and my fingernails will spontaneously combust' hot. It's insane. It's so hot that there's no need to use a towel after you've had a shower because any moisture you wipe off will be immediately replaced with sweat.

After a day spent eating Eggs Benedict, playing guitar and chatting with the lovely people at the Melbourne Connection I waltzed along to the airport skipping with joy and expectation, with a hint of sadness at having to leave behind what has become like a second (third? fourth?) home. I had to get two flights - from Sydney to Melbourne and then Melbourne to Singapore - the latter of which was spent sat next to a crazy Polish lady whose only method of communication was to shout and make exaggerated gestures with her hands. I tried to ignore her but she kept staring eerily at the side of my face when I was watching TV. That was always my cue to see what she wanted. A VB? Help with your TV? You wanna go to the toilet? You want to comment on my book? You wanna do WHAT with me?! Ok so I didn't have to say the last one.
I was a bit of a grouch to be fair. A typical Brit on public transport if you like, but I'd spent the whole day talking (yeah yeah I know) and couldn't really be arsed to say anything. Any other time I'd charm the pants off her. Not literally *shudders*.

Regardless, I arrived in Singapore 7 hours later at 2:30 in the morning with no hostel booked and no idea how to get into the city, so I slept in the airport in a nice little spot on the floor underneath an escalator. Ear plugs in, hoodie under head and it felt like I was back at home in Salisbury. On the kitchen floor at least.

After managing to get at least a good 2 hours sleep I made my way into the city on the MRT and checked into a private room in a hotel for one night. When I'd had a much needed shower and sorted out my bag after the shampoo bottle had exploded over everything, I made my way into the CBD to have a look around. A cup of Starbucks tea and a doze later, I found myself in the Chinatown cyber-cafe feeling pessimistic, hungry, hot and sweaty. Thankfully I managed to sort out the first two, the latter of which solved with some amazing crispy Peking duck and egg fried rice, the former with a good telling-off. I went from Chinatown up to Orchard Road to do a little shopping - a new camera and phone. Hurrah! No more pressing buttons with the force-weight of two large lorries just to write a stupid text. The camera is lovely, so there should be a noteable upgrade in the pictures here depending on how much of the quality is lost in the upload.

When I'd spent a decent amount of money I proceeded to Little India for a nap in the hotel, and then out again to a hawker stall for a lovely - if cold - Chicken Biryani. I ain't gonna complain about the temperature when the whole meal was the price of a chocolate bar in Australia. Nice.

And so we get to today - Sunday - and I've moved into a hostel, feeling refreshed and ready to tackle South-East Asia pretty soon. I think I'll stay here 2 nights and then make my way over the bridge into Malaysia on Tuesday. I'll be doing another entry on Singapore with some subjective opinions of the place rather than more "I went here I went there" accounts so stay tuned.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: