New Year's Eve in a church

Trip Start Nov 04, 2005
Trip End Feb 04, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Thursday, January 5, 2006

Well, it takes a while to recover from New Year celebrations doesn't it? - So here we go then...

We managed to get tickets for a party at a club called Avalon sorted out at about half three on NYE eve. $100 and they were having a free bar from 9 until midnight - you can't argue with a free bar can you?

So we headed downtown to pck up the tickets before heading to the club. We headed up past crowds of people already queueing to get into Times Square...six odd hours before the ball famously drops. The deal with Times Sq is that you aren't allowed to bring any bags or back packs as they will be confiscated. You're not allowed any alcohol. Once you've queued and got into the SQ, if you go for a pee you may not get back effectively you don't pee, or you pee on someone's leg and pretend nothing's happening. You're also at the mercy of the elements and it snowed on NYE. The three of us certainly weren't cut out for standing in the snow, stone cold sober waiting for a steel ball to descend on top of a building as a way to celebrate something.

Anyway - with tickets in hand we headed back downtown to the club - a renovated church - which had a queue already stretching round the block half an hour before doors opened at 9pm.
The crafty buggers kept us waiting outside long past 9pm...just to eat into that free bar time as much as possible. The crowd were getting restless though. A film crew were there asking us to scream loud if we wanted to bve on TV...but most people wanted blankets and to be left alone until they had booze.

Eventually we got inside - only to have some adventures with barmen trying to tell us there was no free booze at all - it was a very cool place. There were huge ice sculptures on the main dance floor, which was surrounded by balconies. There were steps everywhere leading to little upstairs bars, more dancefloors and different music styles.
Once we got our wristbands that told staff we were entitled to free booze, we set about catching up. There was a lot of vodka and oranges slipping down my fat hairy throat, and then we saw that they were settuing out free champagne for the midnight toast....and we set a few of those on our table in the funky disco wall pod (check the pics to see what I mean)
Ironically enough - the champagne we got had been set out after midnight so the moment itself passed us by. Once I stopped weeping, we carried on boozing and I am reliably informed that there was an attempt at breakdancing...but it went wrong. Hank and I ended up lying on the floor punching each other, apparently. Unfortunately there are no photos though. I'm raging about that myself.

The place stayed open until 8am New Year's day, but we had the sense not to rip the arse out of it that much. No. We were on the 7.11am train back to Morristown and I for one died all day New Years day. I slept until 6pm then got up, had a burger and went back to bed.

Hope you all had good craic and didn't do anything too silly.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: