Our mission up the beach

Trip Start Apr 30, 2011
Trip End Dec 08, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Saturday, October 1, 2011

The ride to Mission beach took most of the day, but it felt even longer! We'd been out the night before for farewell 'Wings' drinks, but stayed out far longer than we intended with Team Ireland (as Richie had nicknamed them!) Our coach left Airlie Beach at 0700, so after a late night drinking, and 3 nights 'sleep' on a boat, we were feeling worse for wear!

Eight hours later we arrived at the Greyhound drop off point in Mission Beach and the hostel reps were pretty much fighting to get us to stay at their hostels. So before it got ugly (!)  we made a snap decision with a hostel nearby and off we went. They had said that they had private double rooms available, but when we got there turns out this wasn't the case.  All they had for us were bunk beds. We checked it out, but it didn't seem worth the price, and after 3 nights on a boat, we just really fancied a good nights sleep! The lady at the desk was very helpful and called over to the Mission Beach Resort for us. She explained that even though they are a resort they still have budget rooms. The price was ok so we went over and booked in for two nights. 
The resort was actually very nice. We even had our own mini kitchen and outdoor seating and bbq area by one of the three pools. It was quite a step up from some of the places we have stayed recently. 

As it was Saturday evening we just made it over to the Woolworths supermarket opposite the resort to stock up on some bbq essentials as we were definitely going to make use of the free gas bbq's! . We were saving the food for tomorrow though, as we spent the rest of the night in the local bar watching the England vs Scotland rugby world cup match. Then it was time to catch up on some sleep.

Our first day at Mission Beach we spent walking on the beach to the nearest town. Where we were staying was a two minute walk from the Greyhound point (great when you have a 20k pack on your back) but was an hours walk up the beach to where everything was going on. 
The beach is nice, but you can still see the damage caused by the cyclone that hit just a few months ago. The palm trees are leaning in many different directions, some have even been uprooted and windows of properties are boarded up. We heard that some ferries to local islands have only just started operating again as the islands have been closed all this time.
The small town is a great place to eat lunch and they also have a market which sells a lot of fresh sea food and some other quirky souvenirs. After this there wasn't much else to do, so it was an hours walk back down the beach to the resort.

With the weather being as hot as it is in Queensland, it was time to cool off in the pool. This was then followed by a huge bbq for us on our last night! We had a lovely relaxing couple of days and were lucky to stay in such a nice resort for not much more than we would pay in a hostel.
 The next day we were booked on our last Greyhound journey to our last city in Australia... Cairns. We cant believe this part of our travels is nearly at an end! 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: