96-97: Sarah's Snorkel Test!

Trip Start Jan 10, 2013
Trip End Jun 06, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Guanacaste,
Saturday, May 11, 2013


So today would have been my last day, except I am now diving tomorrow too. In a way it's quite nice I get to go out again as ending my dive master internship in the pool isn't exactly ideal. Taylor was doing her instructorness today, as in we performed skills and she has to correct/help us etc. We did the mask skill for one of them and we literally did it about 5 times each. On one of mine I had to keep my eyes shut, put my mask back on and then not clear it. Because Taylor hadn't told us what to do if we kept our eyes closed I had to ignore everything she did to try and get me to clear it. This meant that I was sat for ages with my mask totally filled. This wouldn't have been too bad except Taylor, in an effort to get me to clear it, kept tapping on my nose pocket with ever increasing frustration which only resulted in water being shoved up my nose. Lovely. Eventually after a few minutes of this I just cleared it because I didn't think we were going to get anywhere! After all this I then performed my mask demonstration which I thought I'd screwed up due to my sodding hair getting entangled in the strap but apparently I got a 5, go figure. After this we did rescue skills and I basically acted as an unconscious diver for about 40 minutes. Then we were done, it had still taken a good chunk of the day to go through all of it though.

Now tonight, even though I'm 'technically' not finished as a dive master, is my snorkel test. I'd set it for 7 knowing that everyone would probably turn up around 8 but Martin told me unless it was at 7 he wasn't coming. And I kind of need to have my instructor there. So I rushed home, had a power nap and got ready. There were a few people at 7 but we ended up procrastinating so much that I didn't actually start till 8 when there were a lot more people there. Score. Jade had bought along a crown for me to wear which was completely awesome, so I did my snorkel test in a crown ;) Martin went first and demonstrated with one beer, however Tom and Maarten were on hand to pour rum in as well, so even Martin didn't manage to clear the snorkel fully.

Now I'm not the best at downing drinks and remember you have to down whatever they've put in the funnel (or in my case a huge coke bottle) in one breath. However I managed to clear one whole snorkel in one go, had the shortest breath ever and they poured more in which I definitely did not have enough air for. I tried to stop the flow of the booze, I am not one waste alcohol, but most of it just sprayed all over my legs. Tom had also given me the best tip ever which was that if I didn't like what had gone in the funnel I should just use the snorkel blast method and thereby spraying my wonderful instructor with whatever was in the snorkel. Mahahaha. I did actually do this at one point just for fun and totally got him, brilliant. After the first/second Martin said he was going to pour my favourite liquid in next. I was totally expecting tequila or something but he just poured my water into it, was extremely funny actually. It's kind of a long running joke that I'm ALWAYS carrying a water bottle around with me.

Just after I finished a couple more people turned up including some I didn't expect to come like our boat captain Jaime. I was completely chuffed with the amount of people that came for my send off, so if any of you read this, thanks so much for coming. It meant a lot to me. I wasn't actually drunk after my snorkels but the combination of that, 6 margaritas, and from what I can remember, two shots of tequila meant that I was fairly drunk by the end of the evening. We ended up at Zi Lounge after Coconutz and I eventually just got really tired and decided to send myself home! Was an awesome night though and definitely a great way to end my time in Playa Coco.


Day off today, surprisingly! I don't think I would be so good at work today. I spent most of the morning lounging in bed and snoozing off my small hangover. Eventually I went over to Tabby's house to watch some movies and I finished off my map of Tortuga for my dive master and made it look all purty. We took a fair amount of time deciding what we were going to do for the rest of the evening and eventually went over to Mary's/Father Rooster. I was very happy as I've been wanting to go back there for ages, they have the BEST fries.

After we went back to Mary's and all watched The Grudge together, finally having our scary movie night about two weeks later! Mary's husband nicely drove us home and I spent the rest of the evening packing as I'm leaving tomorrow! It's been a very nice, chilled last night. Thanks ladies!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: