79-80: Dog rapist and doing my first solo guide!

Trip Start Jan 10, 2013
Trip End Jun 06, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Guanacaste,
Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day 79:

Tom and I took our DSD's out from the pool the other day into the ocean. Shea, who just passed her instructor exams yesterday came with us. Which turned out to be pretty handy really. Both of them needed way more weight. Tom and I both gave them extra and they still needed more and they already had quite a bit. It wasn't that they were necessarily massive, they just needed a lot more weight! I ended up holding hands with the female dsd and Shea looked after the husband. It was a pretty tiring dive for me though because I spent a large part of it breathing out a lot (as it makes you go down). So I was taking small amounts of air in and then breathing out for as long as possible, I also had to swim us back down a few times so it ended up being incredibly tiring!

On the second dive we had a lot more weight so it was much better. Tom had pointed out that usually it would be better to hold onto the tank of a person to hold onto them but the woman I was with really appreciated the hand holding so I kept with it. It was lucky I was anyway because when we saw the sharks I felt her flinch and I think holding onto me calmed her down a bit more than me holding onto her tank would of. The sharks stuck around for ages too, usually they just shoot off so we just swam round with them for a while. It was also good on another occasion because I was holding her but slightly in front leading her I was in a better position for when her mask strap just completely came off and her mask off her face. I put it straight back on but I was really worried she was going to freak out because this isn't really what you cover in a dsd. Thankfully she just cleared her mask, probably better than me, and carried on with it. Phew ha!

They were a really nice couple actually and I think they'll probably continue with their diving and do a course at some point. Tom debriefed me later and said that I was way better to have along then Shea, which is a bit worrying really as she's now an instructor and I'm not even a dive master yet.

We're going over to Martin and Brenda's house tonight as its Tyler's birthday and it's the end of the IDC. I therefore was allowed a bit longer lunch break to go home and shower as I'm closing and I have to go straight from work to their house. After work I met everyone at super compro and we all got some booze and then taxis to Martin and Brenda's. Brenda had made us a ton of eastern food and there was a lot of it. Was so good though! I told her I'm moving in and she has to cook for me every night! After eating my weight in food we were all sat around chatting and some how ended up on Tom telling us a story on how he had managed to get his penis stuck in Brenda's desk drawer the other day. No he wasn't naked but still somehow managed it. Tyler then told us that he then told them all the story of how he got his balls caught on the stray dog. At the time Tyler didn't know we had a boat called 'stray dog' so when Tom was telling him how he got his balls stuck on the stray dog and couldn't get them out etc Tyler was obviously utterly confused and probably thought Tom was heavily into having sex with dogs. He then realised that he was talking about a boat and not some poor living stray dog. Either way it had us all in stitches imagining Tyler thinking Tom was some depraved dog rapist. I don't know how Tom managed to get himself into either of those situations to be honest!

We all went out after but I wasn't really feeling it, I was massively full and I think the food had put me in a serious food coma. So I stayed out for a few hours for Tyler's birthday before heading home!

Day 80:

Standard morning, I'm meant to be in the shop for the day and then I end up going mapping with Martyn! Much better option to be honest. And it's just the two of us going so it'll be nice and easy. We started off at Tortuga as that's where I'm mapping for my project. I had to go back to wreck and I have never navigated to it before on my own and have only been to it about 3 times in general. I went the way we did yesterday, over the sand patch and straight out to it. However I felt like we'd been swimming for a while and I was really worried that we had missed it! But just as I asked Martyn if we'd gone the wrong way I saw the little stepping stones that led to the wreck and realised we were right next to it. SCORE 1 FOR THE ROOKIE! And then I got lost. Dammit. I only technically went wrong slightly. I managed to guide us back to the sand channel where the mooring line is and I thought that I had to go straight right from that point to get to the next big rock. I didn't. What I actually had to do was go up a little bit and then go right. So close! I navigated easily to the shark channel though and found the clown shrimp area even though they weren't there today. So I was actually pretty proud of myself.

When we got up Martyn wasn't feeling very good and had a really bad headache. And then threw up. So I ended up going with Guayo to Argentina on the next dive. I learnt that Argentina wasn't too hard to navigate, and they have now set up a new mooring line here so we actually have one to anchor on to now. Thank you Rocket Frog Diving! I found an octopus as well which was pretty cool and we saw a couple of huge moray eels that were just out and about and not hiding in rocks so we got to see how absolutely massive they were.

Back at work I stayed longer than I needed to so I could do some dolphin facts for the website. I was utterly knackered and everything was taking ages to work so I was itching to leave by the time I finished. I then got all of my stuff together, put it I'm the basket of my bike and realised someone had 'helpfully' locked up my bike. I've never had a key for it so my bike was now attached to the shop with no way of me getting it off. I was so tired and wanted to get home that I was very close to throwing a tantrum. I couldn't really afford to get a taxi home so I ended up walking all of the way with all of my PADI books in my bag weighing a ton. I then got home and couldn't get in because Esteban has borrowed my keys as he's lost his. So I ended up waiting outside for a bit so I could get in, I just wanted a bloody nap! What a nightmare!

After my nap I went to coconutz to study as we're all going round Martins tomorrow to do my knowledge reviews with Jade and Zack. I ended up stat a table on my own with tons of books around me while everyone watched the NFL drafts. Finally I finished and went and played pool with Ricky and his friends, I was Ricky's partner, poor guy. He was trying to teach me but soon learnt that I'm even worse if I'm trying to be good at pool, rather than just winging it and hoping for the best which occasionally works!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: