71-72: Night dives and Nights out ending in blood!

Trip Start Jan 10, 2013
Trip End Jun 06, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Guanacaste,
Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Day 71:

I have officially woken up a 90 year old woman, I feel like I need to have a zimmerframe to get around my back is so ruined today. Although I'm fairly certain a 90 year old wouldn't have screwed up their back hoisting up an anchor. Pretty sure they would have broken an arm with their frail bones before that happened. Either way I woke up in a fair amount of pain and therefore utterly looking forward to hoisting the combined weight of 46kgs around when doing tanks this morning.

Today I'm helping Carlos out on an open water course. We have one girl from London who seemed really excited but when we got her in the water was super nervous. The first time we went down I thought she was going to panic and rush to the surface because she ripped her regulator out of her mouth going down and seemed like she was going to lose it. Once we got her down though she was pretty good. We saw the sharks too which is always awesome. Carlos said I did really well and was very helpful, so that's good. It counts towards my course too so I'm slowly moving along with it!

After a mere 40 minute break I had the night dive later. The trip out was really fun as we were taking loads of photos and mucking about with the customers. The dive however wasn't as good as the first night dive I did here, not that we didn't see good stuff because we did (stingray right under me, octopus moving about etc). The people we were with though were photographers and had basically no clue about their surroundings because of it. I spent a large part of the dive being kicked or being landed on and when they weren't doing that they were taking so long that I actually lost Guayo about 5 times, at night, in not the greatest visibility. We also had a diver who got low on air, I went to tell Guayo and got Jade to keep an eye on him but when I came back he'd just gone! Not gonna lie was utterly worried where he was but thankfully he had just gone up on his own not particularly safe when you haven't told anyone.

By the time we came up I was knackered, 3 dives today and finishing at like 9pm after cleaning all of the gear. LONG DAY. I was so tired when I got back that I literally didn't want to do anything and I had to force myself to shower rather than crawl into my bed all salty from the ocean!

Day 72:

Next lot of open water dives today with Carlos's and my student. We started in Tortuga where we tied a buoy to the line so they could do one of the open water skills at 6m. The line was beautiful today so I didn't mind sitting around waiting for them to finish the skill and descend again. However by the time we got down (she was still really nervous) Tom had come back round with a diver low on air. I had to take him up the line and do a three minute safety stop and when I came back down I couldn't find Carlos anywhere! I was really annoyed that I had to take that guy up because I was being evaluated on the open water dives. I looked for them at the end of the mooring line and couldn't find them so I surfaced again. I still couldn't work out where they were so I decided to try the anchor line instead. On the way down I saw Jade coming up but she hadn't seen him either. Thankfully after looking for a bit near the anchor I found them, phew!

They were doing navigation swims so I said I would be the point they could navigate back to. So I didn't move I held on to a rock but had somehow managed to find the coldest patch on the entire dive site. I then had to sit for 15 minutes, not moving in 20 degree water. Brr. They took ages to do the navigation successfully so I ended up amusing myself by watching a large silver fish that kept eyeing me up wondering if I was going to move before quickly eating and backing off, then coming back and doing the same thing. It was pretty funny to watch and I ended up singing 'jingle bells' to it when I got bored, singing to yourself under water is very amusing by the way. Especially when you're doing an opera version of Jingle Bells. A tiny puffer came and swam right up to my mask too, they're so cute.

For the next dive the open water student had to do buoyancy and she was kind of bad at it bless her. Thankfully we'd done all of the other skills as it took her about 30 minutes to do it. So I kind of just knelt on the bottom whilst occasionally batting jellyfish away from her face as I thought it might really freak her out if one just slapped her in the face. There was also a bit of current so I ended up getting moved about a bit, this was fine until I accidentally grazed the edge of a sea urchin, those things hurt by the way!

After all of this we are going to Laura's for a house party tonight as some of her friends are in town. Pretty much everyone from rich coast went and it was really fun hanging out with everyone. After we went into town, they went home (but later came back except we didn't know) so I stayed out with Julian, Tabby and Taylor. Julian was super drunk and when we were dancing he decided to 'dip me' except he was too drunk to hold me up. Cue us falling onto the floor, him pouring beer all over me and somehow managing to cut his forehead! I thought we were all going home but as I got into a separate cab from Tabby and Taylor they started walking into Zi Lounge, I was like hold up I only was going home because I thought we were all leaving! Some random guy ended up buying me and Tabby at least two Jägerbombs, which I don't like at the best of times let alone the last couple of drinks of the night!

In the end I walked back with Laura, Tom and Matt their friend as Tom was MEANT to walk me all the way home to mine. Drama got in the way though as neither of them had their keys apparently. Matt decided to break in from the back being chased by a pack of dogs and scaling a wall with barbed wire on the top. He came and opened the door for us and we realised he was basically spewing blood from his arms and we still couldn't get in the house. Sebastian their housemate apparently wasn't in and Matt looked like he had been attacked by a horde of zombies (zombie apocalypse blood arm printed walls near the front gate buzzer still remain). Despite the fact my EFR training tells me to only touch people bleeding, provide mouth to mouth with barriers, I immediately slapped my hand over Matt's arm to put pressure on the wound whilst blood poured out of my hand. Lucky I'm not squeamish really. In the mean time Laura had decided she was going to attempt the barbed wire wall and had started climbing onto a chair to do so. Matt had thankfully stopped bleeding, alcohol thinning blood definitely makes things look a lot worse, so I literally picked Laura off the chair and was like, 'no' ha. Matt, being drunk but at least smart, decided to see if they'd dropped the keys anywhere and what do you know, on the floor under a bush. So after they got in, I walked home alone, covered in blood spatters. Good night huh ;)
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: