54-55: A great dive & the dolphin visit

Trip Start Jan 10, 2013
Trip End Jun 06, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Guanacaste,
Saturday, March 30, 2013

Day 54:

Back in the shop today doing inventory for the whole shop. It took quite a long time and I also had to spend a fair amount of time in the spare stock room which is boiling! After work Taylor and I decided to go out so we went to super compro and bought some tequila and ended up drinking some shots on the street. I felt very Costa Rican as currently they're all doing this on the street! The tequila was really warm though and therefore kind of gross but needs must! We went back into coconutz and chilled there for the rest of the night. Nico the bar manager bought taylor and I some drinks which was nice of him. We were meant to go to this big boxing fight that was going on in Coco's tonight but we decided we couldn't be bothered in the end. I'm not that big of a boxing fan anyway and it was $10 to get in.

After coconutz I walked home with Tom, coconutz' chef, the town was packed and there were tons of people out on the street partying the last of their bank holiday away. There was a really good atmosphere and I kind of wanted to stay out but nope I'm being a good girl as I'm diving tomorrow. Tom and I couldn't get a taxi at all so we had to walk all the way back. A dog joined us and followed us all the way home, she had a collar on so obviously belonged to someone. She clearly doesn't get any attention though because I petted her for like 30 seconds and she decided I was her new best friend, poor thing. So excited for diving tomorrow!

Day 55:

Yay diving today! Although the water is cold which kinda sucks but at least visibility will be good. Jade and I were going with Barbara on her advanced course dives. Regrettably they're doing a deep dive today which equals extra cold haha. We therefore went to supresa where I've been a few times during my deep specialty course. It was 17 degrees! Brr. I was wearing two wetsuits and my hood but I was still cold! Jade, who was only wearing one, couldn't believe I was still cold. I get cold easily! I had managed to forget my booties that you really have to wear with my open heeled fins. Usually it will just rub your ankle but they're still a tiny bit too big which meant they kept trying to escape off my foot and I was constantly having to pull them back on. Because I was trying to keep them on so much I also kept getting cramp in my legs so it wasn't too fun. If there is a current at the next site I'm just going to have to take them off and use them on my hands or something or they'll be gone! Supresa wasn't too exciting although we did see a couple of big stingrays. Jade and I were writing to each other under the water and I said to her it was lucky we weren't doing a fish identification dive because there we're hardly any! I started to get really cold towards the end so was glad when we went up. It was still a nice dive though and I actually just got to relax and look where I was going rather then swimming around rescuing people!

Wearing two wetsuits, though I'm definitely grateful for their warmth, I'd a bit of a pain to be honest. I feel like a giant sausage because I can hardly move in them! I was just about to get back into the water for the second dive and had all of my gear on including my fins when the boat rocked and I managed to fall over. Graceful. I couldn't get back up though because I could only flop about like a dying fish because of my wetsuits, I was wearing fins and I had all my heavy equipment on. I therefore had to get Tyler to literally pick me up from the floor so I could get up, embarrassing ha!

The next advanced dive was a shark speciality, shock we saw no sharks again, that always happens on the shark specialty! I got to take my camera though as we weren't going to go any deeper than 12m. I gave Barbara the task of finding sea horses and the clown shrimp so I could finally get a picture of them. She did good and found two sea horses, a really pretty anemone and the clown shrimp. I think I've worked out where they always are now so hopefully I can find them again. We also found two scorpion fish so I was really glad to get some photos of them too. It was a really nice dive actually and although it was still really cold we were easily distracted by all the stuff to see. Was so glad to have some relaxing dives where I can try and learn the sites and look at stuff :)

Once we came up I had been really needing the toilet for about 20 minutes now, I surfaced to discover there were about 6 people ahead of me waiting to go up the ladder....noooooo. Just imagine you need the loo so bad and you have to wait ages to get onto the boat and then you have to peel off not one but two wetsuits. I was so desperate I ended up jumping straight in the freezing water again rather then using the toilet on board!

Just before we were about to head back a pod of dolphins appeared behind us, then they disappeared and we set off. They reappeared a minute later either side of the boat and then went under again. We carried on and then suddenly they were in front of us and 4 were right under the boat swimming with us. Seriously it was so awesome. There were so many of them jumping and diving around us and then 2-3 feet away from us under the boat swimming, we were so lucky and it was really special. I've obviously seen dolphins before and up close but only from a distance in the wild so this was amazing for me. I was super happy. P.s. yes that is me being an absolute twat on the dolphin video, obviously.

After work I went home and went with Jade to Nicole's to finally do our washing (our machine is still broken, shocker). We loaded it all up and them Taylor and I went to get a pizza as we couldn't be bothered to cook, she said she'd be really angry with me if I one day choked to death because I eat so fast, there are worse ways to die I guess. After pizza we all went back to get our washing when the security guard came in and from what I could tell was asking if we lived there. You technically can't use the machines there if you don't. I tried to explain in Spanish that we had been staying with a friend here over the weekend and had now moved house but done all our washing here, absolute lie and I couldn't really get across what I was saying. He then went and got another guy who I assumed would speak English but instead he just scowled at us while I tried to again explain again in Spanish. What's the point of going to get someone else if they can't add anything to the situation? Dumb arses. So we just left and went back to ours, sorry washing police we've finished!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: