Day 11-12: I'm an emergency responder, may I help?

Trip Start Jan 10, 2013
Trip End Jun 06, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Guanacaste,
Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 11:

More diving today, of course! We have a new, volunteer I guess, here at the moment. He wanted to come and instruct people but they have enough staff at the moment. He is also an underwater videographer which is pretty cool. He's going to come on the dives instead and try and get people to buy the videos. If I wasn't working here and actually had money I would definitely want one, I think it's a pretty good market to be fair.

I'm officially falling apart too, I have done god knows what to my thumb, I think I've basically over exerted it and it's probably not going to get better because I'm constantly using it. My back, neck and knee are also killing me. I've pretty much become a little old lady!

I had to buy new booties today because I'm testing out some open fins that Brenda wants a review on, with open fins you have to wear booties because otherwise it rubs. Also keeps your feet warm in the case of the water here! But yeah, that's another $40, diving is an expensive hobby/employment.

The devil rays were back in force today and I saw 4 or 5 all jumping out of the water at the same time. I really want to see one under the water. I'm here for a while so it's got to happen some time. The only other interesting thing I really saw today was an octopus. To be fair the visibility was not brilliant today so it was harder to actually spot stuff. Did finally see a stingray though, I saw loads before and then none! The new fins weren't that bad but I felt like I was working really hard to do normal kicking. It was nice to be wearing booties though to be honest. My beloved regulator broke today as well, sadness! Apparently Laura can fix it so that's good. My mask was also being an absolute biatch. It usually leaks, which I can cope with but now it keeps fogging up again and leaking! ARG! Bane of my life!

I'm closing today but still had my hula hoop lesson. It was really fun actually and I learnt a lot. Loads of new moves, some of which took me forever to get! It's really nice doing some exercise other than swimming and lifting things too, especially as I have been eating large quantities of sandwiches! After the lesson I had to run back to the shop to close, so tired. Basically trying not to drift off! I went straight home after but as it's Valentines Day, Lee's last night and ladies night we'd all decided to go out. Pretty much no one was up for it though and everyone just all seemed really tired. We did get some awesome entertainment though in the form of some older ladies who were rocking it out on the dance floor. One in particular was going wild, it was kind of ironic that they were 30 or more years older than us and dancing like crazy and we were all slumped in the corner wanting to sleep!

Day 12:

I was really excited because it was finally the day of my shark speciality dives today. Then I got to the shop and found it had been moved to Monday. Instead I'm doing emergency first response which is definitely less exciting. I felt like a bit of an idiot always giving my responder statement (hello, my name is Sarah. I'm an emergency responder, may I help you?) especially because people kept making me laugh. Julian was basically our test dummy for this, he is the worst person at playing unconscious and in other skills would keep trying to help or hinder you. By the way CPR, not easy! It's not all just do some presses and blow into someones mouth like the movies show you, those chest compressions are really hard and you have to get a perfect seal so the chest rises correctly. It's actually kind of tiring, no wonder they say only give up if your exhausted etc, how I scoffed at that before. I also started to learn how to tie certain knots i.e. the bow line because I have to do knots, underwater, for search and recovery. Laura taught me yesterday but Martin showed me some really helpful tricks. But still, EEH. Can't see this going well, I wasn't exactly the archetypal brownie. In fact I got thrown out for telling ghost stories at camp and completely freaking out a whole dorm of girls. Slightly harsh I think.

During lunch Brenda got a phone call saying a dolphin had beached itself right by my flat. I really wanted to go with her but there was no one in the shop. Apparently it had beached itself again in the morning and had been put back so it didn't sound good really. They eventually came back and told us it had died, so sad! Suppose it's the circle of life though really and she was clearly ready to go. They purposefully beach themselves sometimes or are too weak to get back to sea again when they're ill/dying.

After all the drama we had a presentation for the shark speciality which was more a test for Laura, Tom and Carlos who are learning how to instruct the course. It was basically all stuff I'd already in the book and took like two hours. I did learn some nice, new little facts though about sharks and the shark trade. Again you can sign the petition here to help the sharks:

As I'm now definitely staying at Esteban's I decided to finally do a proper shop. I spent about $45 on what is basically 5 days worth of food, rice and ziplock bags. Groceries are not cheap here. I had about 7 cans of stuff too and for once no one came up to me every 5 seconds offering a taxi so I had to walk for ages with all of it! I then had the nicest evening though, I was invited out but decided to stay in with a movie and popcorn. It was so good, haven't relaxed like that in so long!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: