Day 5 - A trip to Puerto Viejo

Trip Start Jan 10, 2013
Trip End Jun 06, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Limon,
Saturday, January 19, 2013

So it was Claire's first day back today. She got back from America yesterday, it was so lovely to see her again. Today I had Tigger for baby time, he is actually the sloth who came in the day I left last year. We thought it was a girl and I called her Elizabeth, but yeah apparently it's a boy. Tigger really suits him to be fair because he is literally bouncing around everywhere! I keep calling him a girl though because he is really slim and feminine looking. Sorry Tigger. He doesn't seem to have grown hardly at all in the 4 months I've been gone either. Claire wanted me to have him today because he's a little bit bitey but to be honest he's actually a dream compared to Snickers the terror of Cahuita.

Bonnie, which is now the amputee sloths official name, is really not doing good so they asked me to hand feed her like I did with Gigia. She's really tiny and weak and seriously needs some food/fluids or I honestly don't think she'll make it. By the end of the day she was still so weak that Judy has taken her into the clinic and will be looking after her personally. I hope she makes it, hopefully it's the malnutrition that's the issue and not some underlying problem. I then found that Cooper, one of my old sloths, had lost a claw. So much so that it was down the the nerve. Poor baby :(

I did a small report to Judy and Primo today for the project I'm helping with and showed them the pictures and videos I've done. To be fair I love my camera, it's so good and I've got some gorgeous shots.

Also news at the sanctuary, Selma made the amazing pork thing that I loved so much before. She's a goddess! Apparently Judy tried to steal her at one point for their kitchen but she said that the volunteers needed her, we do!

After work we all went to Puerto Viejo, as there was a surf competition there today and a reggae concert that night. Missy, a new girl, came with us. She arrived today and had been here before when Sea Scape were 'helping' the sanctuary. I thought when I arrived that we had so much more chilling out time than before but apparently the woman who ran the thing before made them work all breaks, till like 6/7 at night. Sounds insane! I finally went to Bread & Chocolate, which is the really good cake place that all the volunteers were going on about before. It was pretty damn good. We then bummed around PV, did a bit of shopping and had a drink. We were meant to stay for the concert but no one else, except Jess wanted to stay, and taxis are really expensive, so we ended up getting the last bus (7:30pm!) home. I managed to buy this amazing wooden sloth mug that Matt has. It's so cute. Funniest thing we saw that night though was a dj, playing outside a supermarket, so bizarre!

On the way home, about 15 minutes in, I REALLY needed the bathroom and it doesn't help that the road is so bumpy. Jess also gets motion sickness really easily so she needed to throw up and I was going to wet myself. We then got stopped by the police at the passport check point and I even got my passport ready on the page with the Costa Rican stamp to speed things up. But NO. I had it on the page and he kept going past it and I was literally screaming at him, "it's right there!!!!". In hindsight that probably wasn't very smart but I was dying. I had to get Missy to distract me with her great dating stories before we finally got there. PHEW.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: