Day 3 - the canoe ride and the project

Trip Start Jan 10, 2013
Trip End Jun 06, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Limon,
Thursday, January 17, 2013

So I again had no luck with the babies today! I ended up taking little Laylo out and discovered he has his very own sloth moth, which is pretty cool. I was still in section 4/5/6 today and mummy Sofia gave us a proper treat by letting us see her baby fully. It's a month old, and a girl and Sofia is so good with her. They're already born with their teeth and claws when they're babies and she is trying to eat proper food already, which is really good.

We have a newish sloth here who had to have her arm amputated and she has been doing ok. However the last couple of days she's been on the ground and not moving for food at all. We've eventually ended up putting it on the floor for her but Marcelo said we try and make her move for food and if she doesn't then we know something is obviously really wrong. She was really unresponsive today too and although she is a wild sloth and usually really fiesty, she was letting us pick her up etc. Marcelo tried to get her to grip the poles in her enclosure which she was sort of doing. But after I left she apparently nearly fell. Poor thing.

During lunch Judy asked me to come up to her office after we'd finished. It kind of felt like being called into the head teachers office. You automatically think you've done something wrong! Thankfully I hadn't but they want me to help out on a research project they're starting as they have a great opportunity going on at the sanctuary at the moment. So that's pretty cool and really nice that they want me to help. If anyone loves a project it's me. Although it does involve me getting here at 4am which equals 5 hours of sleep every night. YAWN, ha.

A bit later all of us decided to go out in one of the canoes. Emma, who has never done it before rowed all 6 of us and apart from a few mishaps did way better then I ever would have. I was at the front and did get crashed into a tree and a bank a few times though! Probably because I was on the boat, I never have much luck, we didn't really see any wildlife, except a blue (?) heron, a wild sloth and some pretty morpho butterflies, but it was really fun all the same. I jumped ship at one point, after pulling us in using a tree and not being able to let go so I almost fell off, to fetch us some coconuts to drink after. Everyone was slightly unsure they wouldn't be ripe. Oh ye of little faith ;)

On our return I tried to hunt down a machete for cutting the tops of the coconuts but couldn't find one. I ended up using a blunt kitchen knife which actually did the job perfectly. I pretty much stabbed the crap out of them and ended up with 3 yummy, drinkable coconuts. I would totally survive in the wild, check out my hunter gatherer skills!

I went to see Geoff put the babies away and spent a little time with my lovely Ubu who's still ill bless him. Unfortunately Linus was sleeping so no hugs today :(

I then attempted to do my night time watching for the project but it was so dark all I could see was black blobs! Got to see one of the cool morpho's snoozing away though. I ended up going back to the volunteer area and watching Pitch Perfect. The life of a volunteer is so hard sometimes! It's rained quite a bit today and then been really sunny/humid which can only mean one thing -death by mosquito tomorrow.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: