An amazing last activity-diving with sharks & rays

Trip Start Jul 12, 2012
Trip End Sep 21, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Don Carlos

Flag of Costa Rica  ,
Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Going diving today!!! Very excited. Got up and had breakfast, I'd bought some stuff from the store as I still had nutella left. I hadn't wanted to waste money on a full loaf so bought tortillas instead Yvette had got me into nutella and banana tortillas. Alas I had bought corn ones and they weren't that great. Then I found out they give you breakfast here. Damn. Thanks for telling me!

I headed off for diving when I realised I hadn't taken my sudofed (to help with my ears). Idiot. Unfortunately they had seem to come apart from the nice sugary casing and let me tell that stuff does not taste great without it. I did some mental little 'ughhhh' dance on the spot and managed to get it down. Mmm.

I eventually found the boat and waited for the other people to arrive. I told him I needed 3.2 kgs and he told me that was really low for someone with my experience. I was like yes but I'm awesome. I'm joking, but that is actually the weight I use. He gave me 4, I'd rather be to heavy then too light so I agrees anyway. The first dive was AWESOME. There were so many shoals of fish and loads of cool fish I have only seen rarely on dives, literally 100's of pufferfish. Oh yeah and I saw a shark who came right up to me and tons of huge stingrays and some spotted rays, and an octopus! Too cool. Was instantly one of my favourite dives. The dive master, who I was with, put his hand near an eel and it tried to bite his hand off. I laughed so much that my mask filled with water, karma!

We went to 22 metres (naughty I'm only meant to do 18) so we had an hour break on this lovely beach which is owned by the Four Seasons hotel ($6,000 A NIGHT). I stole loads of shells before remembering I have to go through US customs, oh well. The dive master saw two turtles mating but I didn't end up seeing them. It was nice going round in the boat anyway as you get to see how pretty it is here rather than just seeing it from town.

The 2nd dive wasn't as good as the 1st but still fun. I saw tons of eels and a gorgeous spotted ray and spent most of the time swimming alongside/in a huge shoal of fish, basically pretending I was one. It was also a wreck dive which I've always been very excited to do. It wasn't that great though, the visibility was really bad and there wasn't really a lot of marine life. We did write some stuff on the side of the boat though and I swam up onto the front and pretended to be Rose and Jack. It is also really weird diving with a current, I never been somewhere where it's been noticeable but it's actually really fun being pushed along by it. On out safety stop me and the dive master did a bit of underwater dancing with turns etc, was really fun. Having the dive master as a buddy is awesome. Not only are you in the front and therefore not behind annoying people but you get to see all the cool stuff because you're right there when they point it out! Although I was pretty proud as I found a ray and a couple of moray eels ;) Although I have to admit one of them I only found because I'd picked up a pretty shell and then nearly swam into it! Randomly found 2 spoons as well, one on the first and one on the second!! Didn't see any whales but I was happy with the rays.

After we went back to shore where I went and paid the dive shop. The dive master came back and said he was surprised how good a diver I was, especially as I've had so little experience. Maybe I can be a dive master/sloth veterinary assistant. Maybe I'll do my advanced here next year!

Went back into town and realised my top half was super burnt. Crap. I was invited out tonight but really don't think I can be bothered plus I have like zero money left. I'm also feeling so lazy that I can't even be bothered to cook food. Today I have decided that it's a shame I don't like dreads because my hair would be able to do it in about two days. Today despite the fact I used a massive amount of conditioner it took over 15 minutes to brush through my hair. Pain! Surprised I have any hair left!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: