Actually leaving the sanctuary-civilisation!!!

Trip Start Jul 12, 2012
Trip End Sep 21, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Limon,
Sunday, September 2, 2012

So Gi and Pip have not been eating much/at all. Gigia often doesn't eat that much but Pip LOVES her food. She is a serious food monkey. So it's a bit worrying. I managed to get her to eat a handful of food but she would only eat what I fed her and after a while she refused to eat anything else :( I really hope she isn't ill. 

I had a lot more work than usual to do today. For most of the day there were only 3/4 of us doing all of the work as the other volunteers/Judy's friends only stayed till baby time and didn't really help out fully till then. Claire also went home during barros sorting time as her back was hurting so we had to a large chunk of the work with a very small crew. This meant we had to sort barros, clean 6 sections between 4 of us, wash 136 plates, wash the leaves, put the leaves into piles and then feed all 136 sloths. On top of that I had to administer antibiotics to 11 sloths, some twice a day, put cream on 2 three times a day, do antibiotic paste on 4 twice a day and feed and medicate the wild sloth, George, twice a day. Oh and I had to feed all the juvenile sloths in the 6 sections. Was pretty damn tiring! Obviously this will all be much easier when the new volunteers arrive because I'll only have to worry about feeding and cleaning my section and doing medicine rather than running around doing other jobs. We're meant to have a three hour break in the afternoon too but at the money we're lucky if we get half an hour! 

This is why, whilst doing barros you could find me on the floor of the enclosure sorting them and at one point lying down to do them! We had to rush to finish today as we all wanted to go to Puerto Viejo, luckily Jorge is driving us and we managed to get finished, somehow, just before 4. 

I really wanted to go and get cake from this place called Bread and Chocolate but it was closed even though it should have been open! Managed to get some cadburys in the supermarket though and don't judge me but I totally dropped two pieces on the floor and I definitely picked it up and ate it...

We managed to hunt down some extreme necessities; a new iPhone charger (mine got fried by a power outage), mosquito repellent (the sanctuary has destroyed my repellent supply as there's SO many mosquitoes) and...nutella. My breakfast necessity! Totally went for cocktails after too although I could not even taste the tequila in mine, in fact I'm not sure if it even had tequila. Very upsetting! I think I upset Dusty a bit though because I asked if her and Jorge worked for free at the sanctuary but got they're room and board free. She was kind of evasive and then said she'd was a bit offended that I'd asked. I totally didn't mean it that way I was just interested in how it worked in case I don't end up getting this British Museum position next year I've been thinking of maybe coming back and working here for a year. Guess I'll find out when/if the time comes and if they even want me! 

Moving to the volunteer house tomorrow, totally can not be arsed. It's only two minutes down the road but I much prefer having all of my stuff here and being able to roll out of bed and just walk down the path to the sloth enclosures! At least we have some new volunteers arriving tomorrow! Me and Brittany are going to go to the new house tomorrow before they get here so we can nab the best bedrooms! 
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: