The day I was meant to leave the sanctuary, or not

Trip Start Jul 12, 2012
Trip End Sep 21, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Limon,
Friday, August 31, 2012

Today has been totally mental! It all started so normal...

I'm leaving the sloth sanctuary today and everyone else is too! Yvette is leaving this morning (after wonderfully finishing my awesome hand made anklet) but the rest of us are all staying to help and leaving in the afternoon. I genuinely feel horrendous about leaving!

Gigia has made it even harder to leave as today he was following me about as I cleaned other cages and kept reaching for me. When I went in his cage he kept giving me tons of kisses and would get stroppy when I pulled away so he would try and grab my head and pull me back! We love each other. At one point he actually managed to get a fistful of hair and I was totally stuck. He's such a cutie!

The morning was pretty normal, when Yvette left though we all went and grabbed some of her sloths and took them to the gate to wave her off, she looked so happy about the surprise :)
We also made the shrinky dinks that we've been drawing, they look awesome!!!

Judy, the owner has been really sick all week but she finally came out of her room today. She has some special guests here who are helping out till Sunday which is going to be really helpful for them as they only have one volunteer arriving today and 4 of us going.

All of Yvettes sloths are clearly missing her as they've been really needy with attention today, so cute! I almost teared up a little bit after last baby time as well, I can't believe it's going to be over!!!

During barros sorting time (the last one thankfully!), Jens and Bettina came back as they're going back to San Jose with everyone else on the afternoon interbus. It was so cool to see them, and they helped out for a bit too which was awesome.

Stayed as long as possible to clean my enclosures after showing Brittany, the new volunteer around. Then the mentalness started. I decided to go upstairs to find Marcelo as I had another sloth problem. He was in Judys office, where I also had to go to get the super long list for Claire that I had made with all of the sloth problems on it. When I told Judy what it was she asked why was I going. I told her that I would stay but I couldn't afford it. She said could I stay another week and what was the most I could afford!!! I told her that I'd usually try and spend $30 a day $40 max and she said, "How about $25?" Eeeeh!!! So I'm staying for another week. Not only that but Marcelo is away until Tuesday so I'M doing all of the vet stuff he would usually do, some of which I've been doing already, until he gets back! Obviously I won't be doing anaesthetic etc but I'll be doing antibiotics and all that jazz. But not only that but I'll be looking after a wild sloth, who I named George, who came in today AND whenever someone has a sloth problem I'm going to go and look at it and administer medicine and so on. How cool is that! I spoke to Marcelo afterwards and apparently he spoke to Judy as well and said that she shouldn't let me leave. So sweet. So now I'm sort of some sloth vet assistant/archaeologist.

When I told people I was staying they were like a) super happy and b) said are you joking?! Haha Dusty also immediately said now you can make hundreds of shrinky dinks! Going to have to cut some places off my Costa Rica list, but I think it's so worth it.

It was really sad to see people go, I'm really going to miss them now I'm on my own here without them. It feels really weird with them gone and I'm still here! So glad I get another week with my section though, feel so relieved! Did however realise later that it meant another week of barros sorting, nooooooo!

Today was pretty hectic though with thinking I was leaving, packing, rushing through jobs, people leaving, people arriving, vet duties, staying! Can't really complain though. After all the commotion I was pretty knackered though so just chilled with Brittany (and got eaten to death by mosquitoes) and sent an email to Christa, Yvette and Linda. Yvette was very confuses as to why I was there still and said: 'I thought you were leaving today too? Have you hidden somewhere in the sanctuary? Did you find the sloth costume and are hiding out in Gi's cage?!' haha that would be totally something i would plot. After we just played some cards with Dusty and relaxed!

So another sloth day tomorrow, hurrah! It's weird how things work out sometimes!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: