First day at the super dooper sloth sanctuary

Trip Start Jul 12, 2012
Trip End Sep 21, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Limon,
Saturday, August 18, 2012

So for my first day I managed to turn off my alarm clock and woke up at 6am, aka when we start work. Luckily Linda woke me up and I got ready in two minutes, I'm sure the sloths won't care if I brushed my teeth or not...

We start our day by lightly cleaning the cages and filling in the sloth charts to see whether the went to the toilet in the night (mmm) and ate their food. Thankfully we don't have to clean that up! Got my first sloth 'kisses' from Joy and Gigia (Gi to me as I can't pronounce his name) this is basically them licking you. I feel pretty privileged though as apparently Gi and Joy are usually quite bitey and don't really like people. Yay :)

After this we have to peel tons of vegetables for the sloths for their first meal of the day. Peeled vegetables, spoilllleeeed. :p Definitely think I'm getting sick as well as so far I've sneezed about 100 times today and feeling a bit blocked up, bugger. Thankfully managed to get my washing done today as I've run out of everything including underwear!

After breakfast we had to prepare barros leaves which basically involves checking every single leaf for mould, toxic snails etc and taking out all the bad ones. Pretty tedious, but necessary. Finally then we get baby time! I immediately stole Matthew a 6 month old three fingered sloth. He's so tiny and adorable! Just wanted to steal him! He actually looks like a little teddy bear, or an ewok ha.

At lunch break Linda and I had our orientation which basically went over the rules and we just had a chat about the sanctuary. Apparently a volunteer who was here before made a nasty video about the sanctuary saying the were collecting sloths and that they were lonely. The latter is utterly ridiculous as sloths are actually solitary in the wild anyway. Basically the person was an idiot. I can already see after a day that the sanctuary is awesome.

After lunch we do a proper clean of the cages, some of which were difficult as they kept getting right in my face. So I gave them my broom to play with. Kept them busy!

After the clean it was washing barros and sorting them into piles, fun! The sloths sure do love feeding time though. So much so that they'll race to the door and when you give them food they'll just hang upside down, like Thunder my sloth, and eat it right there. Had to help out some other people's sections after but then we were done for the day.

We chilled on the boat dock for a bit but then went on a boat ride with Yvette and Geoffrey (Judys grandson) where I felt progressively iller but we saw a hawk which was pretty cool and got to watch the sun set.

Got back and had dinner but felt pretty crappy, felt pretty cold as well and it's hot here. Hopefully not getting dengue, that would be just my luck! I also discovered that I'd managed to put my brace in the wash with my clothes and it's actually shrunk. Buggerrrrr!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: