Goodbye Nicaragua, I loved you! Hello Costa Rica!

Trip Start Jul 12, 2012
Trip End Sep 21, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of San Jose,
Thursday, August 16, 2012

Woke up half way through the night with a wet leg, no I hadn't wet the bed, the roof leaked with all the rain and one half of my bed got wet. With the poo, the leak and no wifi I'm definitely ready to leave Little Morgans! Had to get up at 6:00am to get the bus for the ferry. After packing I went to check that the others were actually awake, which thankfully they were. I took their breakfast orders and got those in before tons of hungover people beat us to it and we starve instead.

This was lucky as there were tons of orders but we got ours and got on the bus. We were meant to be going to the post office so I could do my postcards but wonderfully the post office was shut just today. We got to the port and had the pay the driver the money we owed our hotel, as there's no ATM where we are, so we did all of that and needed to pay the driver. We were told that it was either $20 (if less than 4) or $5 per person. However the driver tried to charge us $6 per person, obviously this isn't a lot but we'd all taken out enough money to get us by for that day and I had hardly anything. When we questioned this he got proper aggro and told us that we could go pay the restaurant that was associated with Little Morgans which charges 5%. Basically he was being a dick and charging us more money because he knew we didn't want to pay 5%. He then later waved nicely at me as if he hadn't just ripped us off! I may be super polite which apparently gets me molested (see Mexico molestation) but as if I'm gonna wave back at you when you've just been a complete dick to us.

The ferry we got on definitely wasn't as good as the one here. This one had shitty wooden benches that weren't particularly comfortable. We finally arrived however and me, Grace and Fiona, who were all going to Costa Rica managed to get onto a bus straight away going to Rivas. The boys who were a bit further behind us did not. The bus driver kept trying to drive off while I was shouting at him to stop so they could get on. He ignored me and drove off, we couldn't exactly jump off with our bags so we just had to wave goodbye to Tim, we didn't even see Riley! We found this pretty hilarious afterwards. The girl had been travelling with them for quite a while and they'd been discussing for ages this big final goodbye, who would cry etc and the goodbye ended up being us waving as the bus pulled off and only to one person!

Our bus was pretty annoying too as it just dropped us off somewhere random in Rivas and pointed us in a direction. They also threw my bag in some mud, thanks! We eventually found we could flag our bus to the border from a nearby street and after one encounter with a crazy man wandering in the middle of the road making weird sounds, we were on our way to Costa Rica!

We split off at the border a bit but eventually said our goodbyes at the Nicaraguan immigration side as I'd found a bus to take me all the way to San Jose. So that's it the last of the group have finally split up forever! Boo! I also have not managed to get an anklet for Nicaragua either which is very upsetting, it's the only country I don't have one for! A woman also tried to get me to swap my star necklace for one of her hammocks, um no! Why would I ever think that was a good swap? I then found that their was a post office on the Nicaraguan side after giving Tim my postcards. Arg!

Finally headed to the Costa Rican side where I got in a massive queue and ran into Grace and Fiona again! After checking how to get to Monteverde they ended up on the same bus as me to San Jose. Fiona ended up in my seat so I had to sit at the back next to the toilet, mmm smell of urine!

By the time we left it was half 1 and we'd eaten at 7am back in Ometepe so we were all starving. By 3:30 we still haven't stopped for food. I was absolutely starving and was trying to work out what I could eat in my bag or what part of my bag might be edible. I then remembered that I had some month old chewing gum! I shoved about 3 pieces in my month but that kept me going for a while. The girls eventually got off for Monteverde and we thankfully stopped for some food where I had some very questionable pasta!

Eventually arrived in San Jose and got in an overpriced taxi. My driver was pretty cool though, showing me the sights, telling me where to shop etc. It's really cool here! After Ometepe it's SO refreshing. Went for a walk when I got there to get stuff for my time at the sloth sanctuary as I'm meant to be in the jungle with only a trip to town a week and I'm out of toothpaste. Im sure I could make it with some leaf but I'd rather buy colgate.

In the process of buying my stuff I found CADBURYS!!! So that and a mccafe coffee (everything is still close early, it's weird!) was my dinner. Then spent about 3 hours on the computer doing the last of my photos, tiring but necessary! It's definitely been a long day! Sloths tomorrow eeeeeh!!!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Jess (the bag owner!) on

Moo - don't eat the bag! lol. And you do have a very good singing voice x

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: