A bit of americana before i leave

Trip Start Sep 24, 2009
Trip End Sep 27, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
dorms @ CUA and Danny Gibbs' couch

Flag of United States  , District of Columbia
Thursday, September 24, 2009

After spending a little bit over a week in the worlds best city, NYC, it was time to head down to Washington DC for the weekend. I was able to take the kick ass chinatown busses, round trip, for a measly 35 bucks. not bad. There was nobody on the bus so I was able to have the whole back row to myself. I napped and was well refreshed upon my arrival. I was ready to conquer DC and therefore the world! :)

First things first...I had to hop on the metro and make it to CUA (Catholic University of America) where my cuz Denver goes to school. Check. 2nd I had to find Denver. Not a problem, found him within minutes. 3rd beers. Luckily a beer store was accross the street, and pick up a thirty bomb in hopes of getting drunk. Its been years since I last crashed dorms, so I was a bit rusty. Being 25 Im used to carrying beer everywhere I go, but i guess walking around a major university with 30 beers is a no-no. We managed to stuff all the beers in Denvers bag. a bypasser had a chuckle and said i used to put books in bag. I replied well thats what ur hands are for! after smuggling the beers into Denvers dorm I cracked a cold one open and enjoyed. Denver began to do some HW.

after about 5 min of doing HW we decided to go out to a few of the lax players houses and drink some more beers. Ah it was so much fun going to a huge messy house full of dudes and drinking beers. I had a bit of deja vu. i thought back to the days of crashing at Deewaynes house up in Spokane.... dirty floors, beer cans everywhere, empty liquor bottles that served as decoration....aaaahhhh i felt young again. Denver and I bounced from house to house for a bit, and I decided it was time to head out. I dont think i could have handled anymore house partying....gettin to old for it! :) Time to hit the town or at least a bar. This bar that we went to was all you can drink for $15, not bad. the place was pack because of the formentioned reason. after pushing my way through a hot, steamy crowd i set up shop next to the bar. had my fair share of the $15 but was still not happy that it was taking so god damn long to get drinks. Erin, Denvers girlfriend, had enough and told us she would get some drinks for us. she manged to hop up on the bar and started dancing...you go girl! where the hell were my drinks? unfortunatly i didnt get any shots out of the deal...erin you still owe me! i have a feeling that she was able to manage to get one or two for herself as Denver and I cleaned up the eveidance from the back seat of the cab later that night!

i wanted to get up early the next morning and get ahead start on the sights in DC. wanted to knock em all out, right......but.......1pm rolls around as i roll out of bed and head to the cafetria to meet D for lunch :) so i got going around 130. first stop was the american indian musuem. what an unbeliable place. this museum had collected so many artifacts from north and south america that it made me want to puke....or was it the night before? either way i was impressed. the exhibits were amazing, very well put together and educational. part of me feels that all these amazing pieces of history belong where they came from, but than again i wouldnt be able to see this history if it wasent for a place like this. after a couple of hours there i headed next door to the air and space museum. this place was out-of-this-world! they had planes, rockets, space modules...new, old, military, commerical, space flight EVERYTHING hanging from the ceiling of this place. I didnt have much time in the museum, but i was bale to make it through most of the military exhibits which i enjoyed alot. once the museum closed i wandered around the national mall catching pictures of the capitol and washington monument. Later that evening I met up with Gibbers in georgetown. We wandered down to a great bar down by the Potomic river, and enjoyed a few cold ones. being beat from the night before and a hard day of touring we headed back at a decent hour. i crashed hard.

Saturday brought a rainy day of football. after a few beers for breakfast my man Johno came and picked me up from Gibbers house. we were heading to college park, md for a football game at the university of maryland. showing up 2 hours before kick-off we had plenty of time to tail gate. the rain continued to pour as the coronas continued to roll down the back of my throat. kick off was fast approaching, but i met one of johnos friends, Ingo. like myself, ingo loves to travel and has spent much time abroad. now that he has one year old twins and a wife he isnt able to wander the world aimlessly. ingo traveled to nepal a few years back and did some hiking where i would like to go so his info was invaluble. it was quickly approaching 4 and the first quater was nearly over by the time i rubbed the bronze turtle head and walked into the stadium. the rain poured the whole game! the game started to turn ugly in Rutgers favor when we left with about 3 min left. later that night i met up with gibbers and watched the notre dame game. it was so exciting i feel asleep sometime in the 3rd quarter. :)

I was to roll out of dc at 2 in the afternoon on sunday. i managed to sneak some time in the national museum of american history before i left. yet again amazing exhibits like no where else in the world! some of the cool sights that i saw included ab lincolns suit and his famous top hat. and a tribute to all of americas past wars. like i mentioned earlier i didnt have much time in that museum so i was only able to see a fraction of what it had to offer, but nothing like seeing itswheremyrootsare! hoped on the bus and met up with dan and jessica in brooklyn. we chilled nothing to exciting that night.

monday went by the united nations in hopes of doing a tour of the facilites. it is a dream of mine to hopefully work in that magnificent building someday. unfortunatly general assembly is going on so all tours were cancelled until this coming thursday. i still was able to get some sweet shots of the building from the outside. later that night dan, jessica and i went to a yankees game in their new building and what a sight to see!

now its tuesday night and i leave tomorrow! i just booked my hostel for my first four nights in delhi. cant wait to fly for 16 hours. so i guess thats it for now. ill be updating in a few days!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


avalon66 on

Mr America
Very nice blog, son! Sounded like an awesome weekend!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: