Trip Start Jan 14, 2010
6Trip End Jun 25, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
So I guess there's quite a bit to talk about! The last week and a bit since I last updated have been pretty crazy... I finally got my new place, but I haven't moved yet. It's a bit less nice than my place now, but it's all about location! I actually ended up getting one at the Lappis residences which is about a 10 minute walk to school :-). I'm excited to move but also lazy. I still have the keys to my old residence and I seem to be failing at packing. I've been sick the last little while, but I felt better a while ago minus the nagging cough that seems to always remain after I'm sick. Luckily I have codeine for that.
So, besides boring school/general living things the main point of this post is to talk about my absolutely incredible weekend up north in Kiruna, Lapland, Sweden
Anyway, to summarize my weekend I have composed a list.
- Snowmobiling is awesome.
- Riding shotgun in a snowmobile while taking pictures is also awesome, but it makes your hands and face very, very cold.
- Windburn is very easy to acquire at anything faster than walking speed in the arctic circle
- Paying 17.5 euros to tour a hotel is stupid... unless it is entirely made out of ice and is extremely, extremely awesome (see photos inc.).
- Lingonberry juice is tasty both cold and hot.
- It is okay to pay 5 euro for a shot-glass size of juice ONLY when it is given to you in a glass made out of ice.
- I will waste my money sleeping at the ice hotel one day in my life.
- Saunas built on a lake are very cool, but when they are excessively large they take far too long to heat up
- Jumping into a frigid ice-cold lake in a sauna is very exhilarating, so is making a sweet snow angel in your underwear (see picture for aftermath).
- Dog sledding is awesome, also dogs are awesome (no photos due to event taking place at night and at -36, camera didn't work).
- I do not like reindeer, it tastes like lamb. Gross.
- Fire is man's best friend.
- Flying sucks, a lot.
- I love the north.
In short, I loved going to Kiruna and I hope I can take a few other trips to northern areas of Scandinavia... I also have a new conviction to get into snowmobiling at some point in my life and visit northern Canada. Anyway, I suppose I should probably stop delaying packing and laundry, hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I loved taking them!
Miss you all!