14th November-24th November

Trip Start Oct 24, 2005
Trip End Oct 20, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Well we were on the road!!!
The first place we decided to head for was Noosa Heads as Spencers brother Scott said it was a nice place to go. We drove up at night, but by the time we arrived it was dark and we couldn't really tell what was what.
So we decided to park right at the end of a long street. It had lots of woodland around and where we camped was right on the seafront. What we didn't know was that it was National Park. We were woken up in the middle of the night to the sound of a scary druggie shouting at the van- "you can't camp here you *****-do you want some crack?". This was actually quite scary and we both thought what the hell are we doing?!
Anyway she soon went and we went back to sleep, only to wake up in the morning to a notice on our van saying that free camping is not allowed and our Rego had been noted- a fine of $5000 next time-not a good start!
Anyway we had our first VERY COLD public shower and then took a 3 hour walk round the Park. There were some lovely views and we saw some scary wildlife- a 5 foot long lizard and all sorts (we would of had photos but Spencer had a blonde moment and wiped the camera of all the piccies we had taken so far).
We decided not to spend another night in Noosa, although we both enjoyed it, but after the first night we thought we best move on.
So we drove to a little town called Eumundi. It was a really sweet town so we set up camp at the top of a hill and decided to walk down to the local pub. It looked really cool, with saloon type doors, so we went in.
It was practically empty apart from a real Aussie couple who were funny and nice. We got talking to them and they loved the way we spoke!
It was only 9 oclock but they decided to close the pub so we were out on the street and this really weird guy who was in the pub was waiting for us. He had really stary eyes and decided to start walking with us and tell us how many drugs he was on for this that and the other. We pretended to be lost as we didn't want him to know where we were camping so it took us about an hour to get rid of him! He was so strange and really quite scary.
We woke up and went to the Eumundi market-it was absolutely huge and took us all morning to walk around.
After we drove back down along the coast and went to various beaches- Coolum and Perigian which Spencer really liked as there wasn't much there but lovely beaches and views.
We decided to head to Maroocydore to camp and we got there quite late so couldn't look round.
But first thing in the morning we woke up and right near us was a river with a boat hire. So we decided to hire a kayak and we paddled down Millionaires row with all the posh houses on the riverfront.
Later on Spence decided to fish and we met a couple of Aussies who showed him what to do and he was successful! For his first fish he caught a puffa fish, and then another, and then a couple more but they weren't big enough to eat. Quite a productive start though!
Next day we went to Maloolaba where the town was overrun with Schoolies!(Spencer liked it - all young girls running round getting drunk) It was a nice beach so we had a swim and a wander and then went for a drive up into the mountains. It was cooler again and we went to look at a waterfall. It was a hour walk down only for us to be very dissapointed by a little trickle standing no higher that sally!!!
Nevermind to make up for it Spencer decided to jump into the creek, however he scared himself as it was so cold and he couldn't see what was in there - leeches and crocs he thought!!! (Check out the photo)
Caloundra was our next stop where we met a really nice English couple who gave us free passes to Australia Zoo. So that was tomorrow planned!!!
Australia zoo was great and we both loved it! Sally fell in love with the kangaroos and couldn't stop feeding them. We also saw loads of crocs, elephants and koalas but one of the highlights were the tigers.
That nights campsite was a bit further down the coast at a place called Redcliffe which we both quite liked and we met a couple more crazy Aussies there (one mans wife had been a slave before she married him and was forced to live in a shed when she got pregnant - they are all crackers!)
We decided to catch the ferry to North Stardbroke Island the next day, so after a night camping in Cleveland (a really nice little town) we got on the 10 oclock ferry with Trouty (the camper).
It takes about 45 minutes to get to the island, and as soon as you get there you realise there isn't going to be much to do- it is first and foremost a sand mining island. After a quick drive around we found a place called Amity Point and we decided to spend our first night on a campsite. We got in and set up the awnings on the campervan for the first time which was really cool. We sat in the sun with a bottle of wine and beers, playing cards and reading. It was lovely.
Then Spencer decided to go fishing-he met a few lads and soon he had caught our dinner- a large sweet lipped bream- yippeee!!!
Spencer scalled and prepared the fish and then we cooked it on the BBQ. It was really nice and next time we get one we will know how to cook it to perfection.
Next day we opened the van up to the sights and sounds of the sea, and then saw dolphins playing in the surf just yards away from us- it was lovely!!
Sally then got the campervan stuck in sand and had to be towed out-how embarrassing!!!
We drove around the Island but decided we liked Amity Point best so we stayed another 2 nights. During that time Spence did a lot more fishing (Sally also learned), and he got addicted to snorkeling (Sally tried but saw a fish on her foot, screamed and vowed never to do it again!).We also met a few people who we went for drinks with at night, including an absolutely crackers Aussie lady who had us in stitches all night long!
After 3 days we caught the ferry back and decided to go to Brisbane for a look around.
We walked into town and looked at a museum, chinatown, Fortitude valley (the trendy part)and all the shops. We also caught the City Cat which is a water taxi through Brisbane river which was nice.
Although we liked Brisbane we wanted to get back to the Coast so we headed back to the Gold Coast and to Surfers.
So here I am at Angela's writing this update for you.
Will soon have more adventures to update you on!
There are Jelly Fish in Northern Queensland so we're heading south until March when they'll be gone. Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour here we come!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: