Lots of work and a coral island cruise

Trip Start Oct 01, 2007
Trip End Dec 31, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Brazil  ,
Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I know I know...it's been a long time again.  In my defense, except for this past weekend, I've been working 7 days a week and average over 12 hours a day.  But we're getting to the end of the job now and we've got to constantly supervise the contractor.  We should be leaving Brazil around the first of July.  Well, Jacqui may have to leave earlier because I may not be able to change her ticket.  I only used 50,000 frequent flier miles for her roundtrip ticket(that's normally what a domestic roundtrip ticket costs)  As we get closer to the date we were originally scheduled to leave (June 23rd) then I'll see if it's possible to get her a later flight that I'm on.

This past weekend we took a one day cruise out to a coral island in the ocean.  It wasn't a long cruise but it was really cool.  You go through a mangrove forest down the river out to the ocean.  Then it's like a 1 hour cruise to the island.  It's a sandy island where the river had emptied out and gotten caught up on the coral.  The sand there was the softest sand I've ever felt.  But the sand was only on the land side of the island, the ocean side was just coral.  And walking on the coral was an unpleasant experience.  We didn't think to bring good sandals (Teva's).  So we were both wearing the little thong-style flip flops.  And since the coral didn't decide to grow in a nice level fashion like a sidewalk, we were slipping off the flip flops (or flopping off the flip flops.  I would say flipping off the flip flops, but I was more mad at myself for not preparing than the sandals.)  That was unpleasant, but we did get to see a giant sea slug, starfish, hermit crabs, fiddler crabs, lots of fish, and a sea turtle.  And I got to hold a (very) spikey sea urchin.  I was gonna hold the sea turtle, but he had already been held out of the water for like 15 minutes, so I figured just let him go.  The guide ended up taking him out to the ocean so he wouldn't get caught on the coral when the tide came back in.

It was a long walk out to a tidal pool where the guide let us feed the fish.  Then there was a little bit of a race to beat the tide back to the boat.  Once we got back on the boat, we went back to the river entrance and docked at the mangrove forest.  There was an elevated walkway to the mainland to this little restaraunt.  The food was ok...nothing to really get you excited.  But they did have lots of hammocks hung in groups, so you could lounge in a hammock and talk with people.

After everyone had digested for a little while, we headed out to go back upriver to another island to play in "healthy" mud.  But the motor on the boat broke down and we ended up having to jump ship (to another boat).  Then a nice little storm blew in and we headed back to port.  Overall it was a fun day.  Got a little sunburn(in small patches) and Jacqui got a cut up foot from the coral (I didn't, HOORAY for calluses!).  Enjoy the pics
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: