Walk like an Egyptian

Trip Start Aug 30, 2006
Trip End Jul 16, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Egypt  ,
Thursday, May 3, 2007

So excited!! Finally we are going to Egypt for 8 glorious days. Ever since I was little I've always wanted to visit Egypt.

Pyramids, Sahara desert, camels, the Nile, King Tutankhamun's treasures, bazaar, snorkelling in the Red Sea, jeep safari in the desert, sun bathing in 44 degree heat, tanning AND burning, karaoke and the Sphinx!

Got up at 6:45am to do last minute packing and caught the 52 bus to Victoria Station and hopped onto the earlier Gatwick Express. But we didn't have a seat so had to stand with our luggage for 30 minutes.

We flew Air Monarch for the first time. A 5 hour flight with an inflight movie (The Holiday) and a meal - wow! The last five minutes of the flight was really rough turbulence, it was so bad I almost threw up.

Finally we had a smooth landing into Sharm El Sheikh. From the airport tarmac we were all hearded onto stifling HOT buses to take a 10 second trip to the airport.

The airport was chaos. All the horror stories we were told about the no queues were sadly true. It was a free for all lunge. Luckily it was easy to get the visas for cairo but took ages to get through passport control.

IMPRESSION: Heat not too bad, although we did arrive at 5:45pm. No dust, which is good news for my contact lens. Egyptian locals are really friendly.

It then took ages to get our luggage and we had to wait until our whole group arrived. We had to drop people off at their hotels. First stop was the 5 star Sheraton Hotel. There were lots of security guards with machine guns. Apparently there was a big conference on Peace in Iraq being held in Sharm El Sheikh (attended by US Secretary of State Condeleeza Rice, Iranian Foreign Minister etc.) Alot of the dignitaries were staying at the Sheraton Hotel. Also the President's son was getting married. While we were there the King of Sudan drove past. Amazing!

IMPRESSION: We met Nicki and Kath, two British girls at the airport. They were staying at the hotel opposite us. Very friendly and we would bump into them later. It was a rare thing though as most of the people in the Sharm El Sheikh were Italian, Russian or English but were either couples or families and kept to themselves.

We finally arrived at our hotel "Falcon Inn - Viva Sharm" at about 7:30pm. We were so exhausted and hungry we headed straight for the hotel restaurant to eat. I ate the tuna roll, which was to become a regular meal as there was NOTHING on the menu to eat.

After dinner we relaxed in our clean hotel room. Ahh the luxury of a hotel room.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: