Hello Peru

Trip Start Sep 19, 2009
Trip End May 19, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Peru  ,
Thursday, October 15, 2009

So Thursday morning, and we had our bus booked for 10.30am. We set off to the tourist office, only to find that our bus was very late leaving La Paz and they were not even sure when the bus would arrive, or even if it would! Sounded dodge to me, but what could we do... so we re- booked for the 1.30pm and headed back to the hammocks in the hostel - hey, there are worse places to be stuck for a few hours!!! We met up with the couple from last night who were also waiting for their bus, so we spent the next few hours chatting with them and having lunch together before take 2 to get our bus (which fortunately was successful!).

Within 10 minutes we were at the border to Peru and off the bus to go through immigration and get some Solares (Peruvian money)… The journey to Puno was very straight and smooth, a relief from the last few rather bumpy and windy journeys we have had. Once in Puno, we got a taxi to our hostel, Inkas Rest to meet the mad owner Alfredo. He was very amusing and incredibly efficient and helpful, and his hostel was something else! Not only did we have our room but we had a living room with TV and DVD, a dining table, another table with hot water for free tea, and a bathroom which was all for us and one other couple. It was like a mini apartment, fantastic and there was a small kitchen upstairs which we could use.  We headed off to the market to buy ingredients for the next 2 nights, it was so cheap and there was such a choice of cheeses and veg it was amazing! Puno is not meant to be that safe at night although it felt fine as we were near the centre and Alfredo had told us what streets were safe for night time, however as we were cooking for ourselves it didn't matter too much!

The next day we opted for only a half day tour of the floating islands, we could have done a full day but as the afternoon consisted of a long walk, it sounded too like Isla del Sol for us... and it seemed a good decision in the end. We reached the floating islands within 30 mins. There are 45 of them in total, all made out of reeds - mad! It felt so soft and bouncy to walk on. They are now quite modernized with TV etc and the capital of the islands has about 3 restaurants, bit crazy! We learnt how the islands are built and met the people living on the island, they basically survive off us tourists now, and the crafts they make are so amazing that I felt I just had to buy something (that’s what I told Ben anyway...)!! We were forced to visit the capital island but it was a bit too trashy for us so we had a quick walk around then waited on the boat with our books. Back on land by 12.30 we cruised around Puno deciding on where to go for our lunch. After a long and relaxing meal (and another poker lesson from Ben), we explored Puno a little bit more, a town  that although we liked did not have much to do. So we headed back our apartment…
There we spent the arvo watching a dvd and trying to update about 5 entries of this blog, man it takes a long time! We were lucky to be inside too as a huge thunder and lightening storm started about 5pm until late into the night so it was nice to know we didnt have to go out in that...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: