Last stop in Bolivia...

Trip Start Sep 19, 2009
Trip End May 19, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Monday, October 12, 2009

We managed to hike up the hill back to town in Sorata and head up to Huarina, where we had to stop on the side of the road and wait (and hope) for another bus to come that could take us to Copacabana. There wasn't much traffic coming so thought we could be in for a long wait, made longer by some drunk Bolivians that came to join us speaking in a mix of slurred Spanish and Quechua, neither could be understood. Luckily a bus came soon enough and we escaped them and were on our way. When we reached Lake Titicaca we all had to get off the bus and get a boat over to the other side while the bus drove onto this raft thing. We were watching our bags intently as they were not strapped on the top of the bus and my bag would definitely sink a lonnnng way if it fell. After getting safely back on board, and following a short drive on from the ferry port, we were in Copacabana. Ben went off to look at a couple of hostals to make sure we found the perfect place to relax for a couple of days and here is where we found with La Cupula. It had 4 gardens with hammocks and deck chairs, beautiful views of the lake, a large kitchen, tv room and restaurant, plus one of the nicest owners ever. Even though it was slightly more expensive than usual it was worth it.

We explored the town which had a huge variety of restaurants but we were after a market to buy food to cook for ourselves, for money but also sanity reasons after 3 weeks of eating out! We chose Wednesday to be our relaxing day (swayed by the England - Belarus game which Ben thought he would be able to watch in the afternoon), so booked ourselves on a day tour to the Isla del Sol….an Island in Lake Titicaca, not too far away but at the speed we went on the boat it felt like 500 miles away! It took 3 hours of chugging away and we had failed to bring a book or anything so I had one exceptionally bored and annoying Ben to deal with…not fun!

When we got to the island we were told we could walk to the ruins and then back to the north island for 1.30 or walk the length of the island to the south in 3 hrs and be picked up at 3.30pm, we thought why not….. No one told us which direction to go, so we followed the hoards of tourists. The ruins were some old walls, apparently where the inca myths developed….the challenge was to get a photo with no other tourists in their own little world walking into your picture! So then we set off for the south side, the walk started with steep uphill which made us wander why we were doing this voluntarily! There was no sights to see on the way although the view was quite nice but we did get stopped to pay "tax" for passing by (but not entering) a village and for whatever other reason… We finally reached the south side 2hrs and 40 mins later to one very hungry Claire. We stopped at a café and ordered some soup and coffee, waited 5 mins b4 told there was no milk or soup for that fact, after about 3 more trials to order something on the menu I got a very dry sandwich with about 2 mouthfuls of chicken, why did I bother?? So then the long and boring journey back, oh yeah almost forgot we stopped at a floating island and was told we could pay to stand on it, there was about 2 tourists who decided this was a good idea, while the rest of us longed to be back home in our lovely hostel! All in all I would not recommend this tour unless you want the exercise, but then there is plenty of walks in Copacabana….ah well some things you have to find out the hard way!!!! We had planned to try out the nightlife in Copacabana that night but after a lovely home cooked dinner we opted for a warm bed instead!!!

Ahh Wednesday, the day of nothing to do :) we spent most of the morning lying on hammocks, reading - and when it got too hot we retreated to a deck chair in the shade (mind you it was so cold in the shade we needed a fleece so was a bit bizarre)! We treated ourselves to breakfast in town and shared a gnocci goulash for lunch in the hostel restaurant, yummy! The arvo was saved for the footie but sadly no channel was showing the England game (shame huh!) so we gave up and went to the hot tub around 5.30pm. We met a lovely couple in the hot tub where we exchanged good and bad experiences as they had been through Peru and were going where we had come from. It was lovely to meet such a positive couple too as so many we meet are so negative and say, "don’t go there, you will get robbed", or moan about the state of a lovely hostel….why travel!! Anyway we  ended up getting beer brought over by the owner and sitting there chatting while the sun set and the stars came out…..what a way to end a great day!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: