Alive ´n kickin´
Trip Start Feb 09, 2011
21Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
I hope you're well and happy.
It´s been too long since I last wrote to you, (and particularly to those who still take the time to follow my progress around Latin, and now Central America), I apologise! There are good reasons, and this blog must now come to an end, so let me explain:
- Once again, sorry it´s been so long since my last entry.
- For some months, it has felt very weird to continue to write a travel blog. I live here now, after all.
- Following a nice, and fairly significant, promotion, I have moved with Control Risks to Mexico.
- At a professional level, the move has, and continues to be a great one, although I´m only 3 weeks into the new role so it´s early days
- My new job is extremely interesting, and challenging, and a little more complex from a personal security perspective. This blog is public so this will be my last post, at least for some time.
- My first 3 weeks in Mexico have been full of apartment hunting, buying my first single speed mountain bike, food poisoning, doing my job, carefully planning some imminent trips to some of Mexico's (and the world's) most statistically dangerous locations - an infrequent necessity of the work, making inroads into the local Crossfit, taking boxing lessons from a crazy Mexican, trying my best to understand the history, culture and current state of affairs in this amazing, but complex place, fighting to open bank accounts, sort visas, get half my clothes released from customs and generally trying to make new friends and attempting to remember whether I'm coming or going.
- I will continue to update Facebook statuses on a regular basis, some of which will be vaguely work specific, just to keep you informed. I will do the very best I can to keep in touch with people individually, and personally. For those of you who do find the time to write to me, or Skype despite the time difference, you´ll know that I am always so, so happy to hear from you, even if it's just 1 sentence to say hi, and I will always respond quickly!
- Facebook and email are by far the best, and cheapest ways of reaching me
Thanks for the support, the encouragement, the concern and the transatlantic love.
No doubt I´ll be home for good one day, although absolutely no imminent plans. But things are quite dynamic here and you never know what might happen from one day/week/month to the next.
What I do know is that the most important friends and family in my life will never, ever, change and I continue to miss you all.
Stay safe, stay well, and keep in close touch.
Love and best wishes from this monster of a City. Some final photos attached, including a few from my farewell to Colombia - 5 great days in the Amazon! Enjoy.