When in ROME...

Trip Start Jun 13, 2009
Trip End Apr 30, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Italy  , Lazio,
Tuesday, September 22, 2009

We arrived in Rome in the evening, and found our hostel which was right near the train station – this was good and bad.. we didn't have to carry our bags far, but we weren’t in the nicest area of Rome. The hostel was ok.. not the cleanest place I’ve ever stayed, but the people working and staying there were nice. We had dinner at a tourist restaurant and even though the hostel didn’t have wifi I spent the evening catching up on blogs (the last lot I posted all at once!)

We got up ready for some serious sight-seeing and headed straight to the 'Coloseo’! It was actually a lot better than last time I was there as they have put in museum part which gives a lot of information on the history of it. It started raining while we were in there, so we got our brollys out and wandered off to the Pantheon. By the time we got there the rain was coming down in buckets. God bless Maccas – they seem to be in front of every ancient monument on the planet. So we enjoyed a McChicken and stayed dry.. we were sick of pizza anyway! By the time we finished our heart-attack meals the rained had eased to we joined the bazillion other tourists and checked the Pantheon out, threw a couple of coins into the Trevi Fountain, walked up and down the Spanish Steps and wandered the main shopping strip. We had dinner in Piazza Navona (Gnocci Gorgonzola.. yum!) and then watched a bit of a free flamenco show which was in the Piazza. We walked home and had a gelato (which would have been good had my taste buds not been spoilt by the amazing gelato I ate in Naples – damn you and your uber-tasty food Naples!).

My legs were aching from all the walking we did the previous day, but the Vatican City was waiting for us. We caught the metro to St Peter’s Basilica, and discussed how the church could probably solve world hunger if they hadn’t spent so much money building massive churches everywhere. We watched the Swiss Guard standing around in their pantaloons while eating lunch, and then I bought a pope bottle-opener.. I wonder if the pope collects souvenirs of himself? We spent the rest of the day wandering the city mostly looking at boots, and I eventually found a pair I loved, as well as a jacket (I’m so trendy now).We were exauhsted from all the walking we had done, so bought roast chicken and salad from the supermarket for dinner, and then had a second dinner because one of the Indian guys working at the hostel cooked pasta for everyone!

We really didn’t do much on our last day, we wasted a few hours trying to find wifi but couldn’t – they have it at Maccas everywhere but it turns out you needed an Italian mobile to receive the wifi password which I don’t have and the staff weren’t the friendliest..  So we took the lappy back to the hostel and went to an internet café to print our boarding passes for our flight to Basel. I had my last authentic pizza for lunch, and we slept\read at the hostel in the afternoon. The Indian dude cooked us dinner again, and we sat and chatted to an English guy and his mum.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: