The arrival of Kadih!

Trip Start Mar 10, 2007
Trip End Jan 01, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Friday, September 21, 2007

After about a pitiful hours sleep on the bus, we arrived at our stop, and walked to Farah's dad's house. Farah's family situation is complex, but i think i understand it now. This is her real fathers family, who she only found out about 1 year ago. Her family i nSingapore are her adopted family.
         Even though it was 3am, the restaurant that fronts her fathers house was rammed with people; it seem that once the people break their fast in the evening they eat and eat and eat until the time comes when they can't eat again. We were given food and drinks at our arrival, for me its very bizarre to eat fried rice sober at 3:30 in the morning. I agreed that i would fast with the family the coming day so i drank about 200l of water, then at 6::30 we slept for about 4 hours.
         We awoke to possibly the hottest day i can recall for some time; the family said it was gods way of testing me. The day consisted of a mini tour of the town, stopping off at various friends and relatives houses for a chat, to pick fruit and make preparation for Hari Raya. I was given the Malaysian name of Kadih by one couple, much to everyones amusement (for the rest of my time in this village, i would be referred to as Kadih, with the family bursting out laughing ever time i said namu saya kadi). I was fine with the lack of food, even the lack of water wasn't causing me too many problems, however the lack of sleep I'd had was killing me. I felt soo embarrassed as i kept doing that thing where you start to nod off, then your head drops down and you jolt awake, even though i was in a stranger living room, in Malaysia! I know, but i couldn't help it :(  Anyway, i survived the fast, gorged myself on the evening meal as all do, then we went to the local beach where they were having some sort of Chinese lantern festival, before witnessing a bit o fthe fishing competition before the rain forced us to return home for some kip.
 Next day i was supposed to leave with Farah but the bus/trains were all booked, so we spent the day lazing around, trying to sort Internet stuff, then eating in the evening at the restaurant with her brothers fat friend. He was cool, and he amused me more because he looked like fat Albert. He also showed me some Jackass like videos on his mobile phone, with a Muslim twist. Basically it consisted of people doing things like lifting up peoples sarongs whilst they pray to reveal their arse etc. Obviously our cultures aren't soo different. I also took part in the mockery of me, by taking a couples order when they came to the restaurant, which everyone found hilarious.
Left the next day for Segemat, Farah's Adopted fathers hometown
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: