Caveman Davey

Trip Start Mar 10, 2007
Trip End Jan 01, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Monday, September 17, 2007

Arrived in Taman Negara too late to do anything significant except find out info on what to do for the next few days, so i went to the park office to do just that. Watched the Parks video about all the great stuff you could (but never will) see whilst walking in the national park, did one of the tiny walks to a place that was supposedly good for swimming (Lubok Simpon), though thank god i didn't bring my trunks as it turned out to be just a muddy river. This walk was a mere 500m from the entrance, but due to the humidity it left me thoroughly knackered. Followed back to the office behind an English couple i will later bump into in Kl (my spidy senses tell me) then went back to the guest house. Whilst reading my book i managed (by continuously veining interest but suggesting that the price was too high) to get one of the 2 day 1 night tours they do into the national park discounted by 80 ringgit (1/3 of the original price) so that was my agenda for the next two days.
     Waking up early for the trek i came back after breakfast and it suddenly occurred to me that this wasn't going to be the most luxurious of treks. Well i say it suddenly occurred to me, moreover it was brought home to me by the cooking tins, cups, canned foods, instant noodles, sleeping bags and ground sheets that had been laid out on the table before me.
     My fellow trekkers were mainly french, with two guys being Portuguese, though I'm unsure of the majority of my fellow trekkers, i guess being leeches they are natives and Malaysian. They were everywhere, every time you checked you were pretty much guaranteed to have one on you somewhere.
    The trekking itself wasn't that difficult in retrospect and we made it to our hotel, a cave, with plenty of time to spare. Thats right, we slept in a huge cave with bats and all, was certainly a novel experience and after spending a good few hours trying to convince ourselves that wet wood would burn (it doesn't really), we had a surprisingly good assortment of curries cooked up by our chef (surprisingly good in that it was mostly canned foods) then i had one of the best nights sleep I've had since i left home, on the floor of the cave (Despite the rats salvaging leftover food in the night)
      Next day we 'trekked' back to the Kuala Trenggan camp, from where we took a boat to an orang asli village (local people who still live in the jungle) who were being exploited by the local tourist industry. It was very uncomfortable here and the villagers were treated like they were zoo animals, so i didn't really enjoy this too much. That being said, i did get to have a go on a blowpipe, which i sucked at, so that was quite cool. Id say i shoot like a girl, except that the girls were really good at it!
       So that was my time in the national park. My advice for anyone thinking of doing the same is that unless you enjoy walking, i wouldn't recommend these jungle treks. My reasoning for this is that you rarely see any wildlife and after a while you forget all about the jungle around you and are just concentrating on your footsteps (or de-leaching your shoes), as if you don't you'd end up flat on your face every 2 steps.
     Got back to Kuala tahan about 6, showered, got on the 7 bus to Jerantut, then got on the 12:30 train to KL
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: