I will walk 500 miles...

Trip Start Mar 10, 2007
Trip End Jan 01, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Got to the bus station early enough to have a roti and dhal breakfast. After fighting for about 10 mins with the vendor about what i was going to eat (i just wanted a plain roti, he said he couldn't do that, only filled roti, that doesn't make sense, to make a filled one, you have to make a plain one then fill it. Then he tried to sell me two. Way too early for that hassle.), i pulled his hair from the lentil dhal i received, ate my roti, then got on the bus.
     Arrived about 13.30 in Tanah Rata and had a pretty standard first day, walking around town getting my bearings, deciding what I'd do with my time here, buying bus tickets and eating ( a fantastic banana leaf set meal at the Indian). Couldn't sleep all night and woke up late to hear a guy jerking off in his dorm bed. Nice.
      Next day was my big day of walking, after a good breakfast i picked up a banana roti for takeaway for my lunch, then set off on 'jungle trail 8', one of the many marked paths in the area that one can walk without i guide. I was lucky today as the weather was very good, and i didn't rain like it supposedly does everyday here. The trail was nice, pretty tiring and took about 1hour 40 mins to get to the top of Gunung Berebum. I then took route 3 down, which was very very steep and took about 75mins, and by this time i was pretty tired. The walks were really nice and the scenery was beautiful, i even saw a snake and a bat (after poking around in its hole with a stick and disturbing it, making it fly out at my face and scaring the shit outta me, serves me right!). The final walk i did, 'jungle walk 2', finished me off. This was horrible, the shortest walk so far, but seemingly just and endless series of steep ups and downs. This only took 49 mins but i was ecstatic when i got to the Sam Poh temple at the end. The temple itself wasn't very impressive, unlike the banana roti i brought for my lunch. I have never been a big fan of banana pancakes. Everyone says when you go to south east Asia you have to try the banana pancakes and i had and so far wasn't impressed, but this banana roti was amazing, and i ate it in about 20 seconds.
          Anyway, wandered around the nearby town of Brichang for a while, then got the bus to Sungai Palas Boh tea estate (well, i had to walk the last 2km, so nearly got the bus there). I was very amused that there main tea they make is called BOH, as I'm sure anyone who's ever been in a class with Rudi flanders would be. The video talk about the plant also said it about 1000 times, which again amused me greatly.
        All idiocy aside, the visit was actually very informative; i learned about the 5 stages involved in tea making, got a factory tour and even got to try some free tea (Result). Exhausted, i left to get back to Tana Rata, watched Fantastic four then slept.
        Spent the last day reading, doing this Internet update and waiting for my bus to Kota Bharu, where i meet Corrin and Matt. Wicked
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: