Sleeping at a Rave

Trip Start Jun 29, 2010
Trip End Apr 07, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Sunrise Hostel

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Limon,
Thursday, January 13, 2011

We got up and headed off for the 10am bus to Puerto Viejo where we planned to visit an animal sanctuary that had been recommended by Adam back at Las Penitas. On arrival at the bus station for the 10am bus it soon became apparent that they and no tickets left so we had to waste a couple of hours waiting and chatting about anything and everything as we usually do in these situations...

The 12pm bus was only 5 minutes late and would take 5 hours to Puerto Viejo on the southern Caribbean side of Costa Rica.  The actual journey, though cramped and hot, provided wonderful views over some of Costa Rica's central and coastal rainforest and we spend around 30 minutes travelling through mountains covered in cloud forest.  On our side of the bus there were many waterfalls dipping away under the roads and some really beautiful plants and trees – some of the leaves were enormous, literally human size.  We saw some stunning views over the canyons and we were amazed at how lush and green everything was. 

We made a stop at Limon on the coast for a toilet break, at this point it started to rain and luckily stopped just before we eventually arrived into Puerto Viejo at 5.15pm.  The coastline on the way in looked more like Scarborough than the Caribbean.  There was an ominous fog over the horizon, the waves were huge and the water was grey – not the tropical white sand and crystal water were expected then.  There had been rainfall pretty much every day here for the past few weeks , and as most people knew this it seemed fairly quiet when we arrived.  We looked for departure times of onward buses to Panama and then went in search of the Sunrise hostel where we had a reservation. 

The dorm room itself had 11 beds, but in quite a big room so we didn’t mind.  The main point of concern was the door didn’t lock which we did not realise until we returned from dinner, i.e. someone had left the door swinging in the wind.  The dorm was full and strangely  when we got back everyone was in bed ... it was only 8.30pm.  And we thought we were the squares that retired too early ... here we were positively crazy.  The rain had started to pour down again and we chatted about the pointlessness of being at the beach when the weather was so bad.  We agreed to go to the animal sanctuary in the morning and then head out asap!

The sound of the nonstop rain on the corrugated iron roof was unfortunately not the only noise we remember that night for though.  Next door there seemed to be a house whose occupants had music blaring at a million decibels, ranging from Bob Marley to some sort of house music (with repetitive beats) and gangster rap (gun shots included).  Added to this they ran around their back garden screaming at each other in a kind of strange male bonding ritual.  This continued until 4.30am ...

Would we ever get to sleep?
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: