End of Box-Gate

Trip Start Jun 29, 2010
Trip End Apr 07, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Estancia Mar Dulce

Flag of Nicaragua  ,
Monday, January 10, 2011

Today we woke up with the noisy cockerel next door aka 5am. Today was the day.  Well that's what we were hoping for, as we were off to the customs office in Managua Airport to try and collect our box.  Yes – the infamous box that was meant to be delivered on 2nd December is finally within our grasp.  Even though we were only 45 minutes away from the box there was no guarantee that we customs would actually release it to us. 

We had booked a taxi to take us to the airport, wait for us and then bring us back.  The price was 25, which was only a little more than going via public transport, and as we had literally starved ourselves and just sat by the pool for the past 2 days (we were under budget by 25) we had 3 to play with ... woo hoo – what a pair of high rollers!!!  

The customs office was actually not in the airport but in a shack just down the road, after much too-ing and fro-ing we eventually established that the blue shack was the one we wanted, so we set out our stall and got comfy for the 1 wait ... yep we were so desperate for the box we had arrived at 6.30am even though the office didn’t open until 8 ... now that’s dedication/desperation. 

But it turned out to be a good idea as by 7am there was quite a substantial line forming.  Fortunately the night porter took pity on us and tried to explain what would happen.  Unfortunately he didn’t speak a word of English, but we managed to get the general idea.  What almost scuppered our plans was the fact that Annabelle, as the signatory had to go in by herself.  When we heard this we were both resigned to the fact with Annabelle at the helm ... we would never get the box.  But she spent the following 60 minutes flicking through the phrasebook learning a few key words!  God help us! 

The whole process involved jumping from one office to another not really knowing what was going on but trying to be patient and generally bumbling along.  An hour of nervous smiling and Spanglish, and she finally had her hands on the box.  The customs officer needed to see everything – so when Annabelle opened it she was chuffed to see lots of Christmas presents ... Joanne had wrapped everything individually which was lovely, but the officers face was a picture.  She was not impressed as Annabelle unwrapped; 2 deodorants, No7 Face Serum, L’Oreal anti-wrinkle cream, 2 fleeces, 1 jacket, 3 pairs of trousers, 2 pairs of leggings, 3 electrical adaptors, 2 I-pod adaptors, 2 travelling books, 4 rain poncho’s and 1kg of chocolate.  WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What a load of faffing about ... but it was definitely worth it. As Annabelle left the office, she had the biggest grin – we were both so relieved and chuffed that the saga was finally over.  A quick taxi ride back to Granada ... and there we were sat by the pool eating chocolate.

We haven’t really eaten much chocolate over the past 6 months so we literally inhaled 200g of Galaxy ... it was heaven.  But we’ve obviously lost the knack of vast consumption that we had perfected in America as we were both feeling suitably sick ... what amateurs! 

The evening was spent re-jigging our bags as we’ve had to lose some clothes to make room for our new winter wardrobe whilst boogying around to the I-pod ... we’re both so relaxed. 

The past week has definitely been the hardest for us – with Annabelle’s dad being ill, the stress with the box and our money situation (or lack of), but we finally feel like we’ve turned a corner and we’re back on track!      

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: