White Water Rafting

Trip Start Jun 29, 2010
Trip End Apr 07, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Back platform of Bus

Flag of United States  , Colorado
Sunday, July 25, 2010

The day started at a truck stop in Colorado and Chris having a repeat of yesterdays sickness bug which led to a discussion of how we should approach the day and whether we should hike or not. After some yoghurt and granola he felt better so we bravely carried on regardless.

We set off and played cards with some of the guys on the bus, 31's was the game and Chris’s bad luck continued through the game as he lost miserably!  We arrived some time later at the trail head for the Grizzly Creek Rim.  This was a substitute hike as the road to the initial destination was blocked by road-works.  The trail took us under the highway and up into the mountains following the river, it was a steep walk but really beautiful with the mountains hanging over us.  We found a ledge in the shade around 1 hour into the walk which we used as a bench for lunch.  Annabelle practiced her skills capturing nature and managed to get some greats shots of some stunning butterflies that were floating and resting next to the river and Chris dipping his toes in and squealing like a girl

We then had an opportunity to go White Water Rafting on the Colorado River which was to cost $45 each for 2 hours. We were split into teams of 8 and matched with a guide, then we all piled onto an old yellow school bus and were taken up river to our drop off point.  En route they showed us how to use the paddles and we spotted that a couple of the guides had dangerous looks in their eyes, one of the guys in particular looked a little mad!  When we arrived at the riverside we all had to get involved and carry the boats and paddles down to the river side like a pack of lemmings.

Our guide was called Kelsey who gave us orders to paddle forward / backward and to tuck our feet in, luckily she would be in charge of the steering.  We hit three large groups of rapids – the biggest being the Man-Eater where everyone got a good soaking, especially Eamonn and Ivo who, being at the front both got a real pasting.  After the three rapids we pulled to one side and had to lift the boat out of the water and take it back to the bus.  Then we were taken back up-river again and had the chance to go through the three sets of rapids again, our guide was fantastic and managed to get us through without incident, some of the others were not so lucky as the mad looking guide managed to flip their boat, as we passed they were all holding the boat up in the middle of the river looking nervously excited!  We all had to pull to one side as they had to be rescued which took around 10 minutes, close call for us!

We then finished the set of rapids but this time stayed in on the river all the way back to base camp.  The scenery was amazing and Chris had a mad 5 minutes and jumped off and floated down the river alongside the boat which was fantastic, the current was so strong he was travelling faster than the boat at one point.  When we arrived back at base we again had to carry all the equipment out of the boat and had a chance to shower for first time in a couple of days which was a welcome relief.

For the evening we had been told we were having a night out in the town of Glenwood.  By the time we arrived it was 9pm and we only had 2 hours to get some food and get back to the bus for the night drive.  We went to a place called the Brewery, aptly named as they brew their own beer.  We ordered, ate and left as quickly as possible and Annabelle managed to negotiate a free dessert for us both as they had run out of our first choice of meal.

As we headed back to the bus we found al the bags had been thrown out onto the side of the street so they could convert it for the night drive, as this was the 6th night drive in 8 nights tempers were now starting to fray and we could see people starting to get very frustrated with the bus situation and the repetition of moving, un- packing and re-packing bags.  We agreed that at the end of the trip we will write a blog to document our thoughts on the social experiment that has been Bus Brother!! We could have sold the tapes for some serious money if we had recorded it!  Annabelle has been compiling a list of her evictions ... it’s getting longer by the day. 

For the night drive we managed to get a back shelf bed which, whilst we were very happy with, this time we did not manage to get a good sleep!  Chris also turned in to 'He’s knight in shining armour’ ... there is a little chap Yi (Annabelle calls him the Hobbit) who would not move up on the bed (bearing in mind he is about 4 foot and was taking up the space of 2 people) – so Chris spent about 20 minutes telling him to move but he kept ignoring him and pretending to be asleep.  Eventually after much heated debate the Hobbit moved up and He could finally get into bed.  Some people just have no idea!  This made us want to go camping even more.   
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: