Puerto Viejo

Trip Start Jun 23, 2008
Trip End Aug 10, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  ,
Monday, July 28, 2008

Luckily on Friday we didn't have to leave until 10am so we (FINALLY) were able to sleep in, if you call 830 sleeping in.  Anyways, we got up and had to be at Tierrasol before 10, for a 5 hour bus ride to Puerto Viejo, a little surfer town on the Caribbean. The way there was alot smoother than we had expected,  because the first group to go to P. Viejo had to stop several times because of car sickness. So we arrived around 330 pm and we got settled in and went to eat at this place called El Dorado.  All I wanted was some american food, so I ate a hamburger and french fries. Then after that we went back to our hotel to hang out, and drank a little bit and played games before going out.  First we went to this place called Johnnys where they had a live Reggae-esque band.  We hung out there for a while before going to another discotec called Stanfords.  There we hung out on these large red cubes before going back to the hotel around 11pm.  On Saturday we were woken up at 715 am, which was entirely to early considering it was pouring down raining STILL and couldn't go snorkling.  So we got ready and went to eat breakfast at Pan Pay, which luckily was included.  This little resturant had the most amazing crossiants ever.  I had two chocolate ones and one with ham and cheese.  After that we all got ready for the beach and decided to suck it up and try to enjoy the beach even though it was still raining.  Some people rented surf boards, and attempted to surf.  But the water was disgusting and literally there was trash in it. However, there was a black beach, and the sand was once lava so that was cool, and there were random horses roaming up and down the beach.  After that a group of us went to get massages at this spa place called Pure.  It was the most amazing one hour massage ever.  The massage therapist I had was originally from the US, and she came to Costa Rica four years ago and never left. Also it turned out that the receptionist was originally from the US too. When she was a sophomore in high school her parents decided to move to Costa Rica, and she had been here ever since.  After the massage me and this other girl took naps and got ready later to go out to eat, and we were so lazy that we didn't go out.  Today we had to get up early, again, and since it was STILL raining we didn't get to go snorkling again. So we went and ate, and since it was disgusting outside still, we didn't rent bikes to ride to this other town.  So we went around to the vendors and little shops.  Where I bought some handmade leather sandals, some gifts, and stuff for myself.  We were also all incredibly bored and realized that there was a First Baptist Church in town, so we decided to attend their service, which luckily was in English.  The church was so primitive, it was a little concrete rectangle and there was no stained glass or anything elaborate. The congregation consisted of maybe 15 people, and the preacher was a woman.  It was so different than at home, because it seemed like people wanted to be there, and they weren't just going just to go, but they actually wanted to be there.  Also, all the people were so welcoming.  After church we ate lunch and headed back. 
Luckily tonight was american food night, so I actually was able to eat, for once. And it was good, and Senora was so excited that I finished my dinner, she actually clapped.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: