Moving into Casa Floribeth

Trip Start Jun 23, 2008
Trip End Aug 10, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  ,
Wednesday, July 9, 2008

On July 5th after I left Katherine in the Delta line, I had to go catch my car to go to my casa universitaria.  Which i was pretty nervous about during the whole ride because San Jose is pretty much a shithole. Its dirty because people don't care and there is trash EVERYWHERE, pretty much every building has bars over all the windows, metal doors, and extensive security systems.  So I was first taken to Tierrasol, which is the CEA headquarters and also doubles as housing.  There I met my first roommate, Katherine from California but goes to school  in Utah. We were then taken by Sylvia (the daughter who is 25 and an aspiring chef) and Tuto (short for Augusto, who is almost 20 and in a local college) to our house.  Which is actually really nice, and in a good part of San Jose, called Zapote.  There we met Floribeth (the assistant to the president of the supreme court of costa rica), the mom, who loves to give everyone kisses (on their cheeks/heads).  Which to be quiet honest, freaks me out a little bit, but I guess I will have to get used to that cultural difference.  She gave Katherine and I a tour of the rediculously big house.  On the first kind of like half floor is the garage and my room.  The next landing is the main part of the house first there is, which is Floribeth and her husbands room are located,  there is a formal sitting room, an informal den, a newly remodeled kitchen complete with stainless steel appliances, a dinning room/area with enough tables/chairs to seat about 20, a study area, couple of full bathrooms, laundry area, an extra bedroom, and I think a room for the maid. On the next floor there is a large den, another sitting area, a balcony, Sylvias and Tutos rooms, and 8 rooms for students (each has 2 or 3 students and private bath), and an area where you can look over to the dining room. On the next half floor is the game room with a ping pong table and a pool table.  Not to menchion the panoramic views of the mountians. So my housing has turned out to be a pretty good set up.  And the people that are on the trip are pretty cool and they are from all over.  Theres people from California, Montana, Seattle, Cincinnati, Virginia, and I forgot some of the rest of the places.
 The rest of the day I really didnt do much, other than eat and sleep because I was so tired from getting up early to go to the airport. 
The past couple days honestly have been a little boring in comparision to what I have been doing.  On the first night we (two guys and four girls) decided to explore the neighborhood.  They ended up having to take me back home because of a BAD stomachache.  Which is weird because you would think that since I have been here for 2 weeks I wouldnt have any problems, but no. So on our first real day we had a city tour, where we walked around for forever in the awful Costa Rican heat. Which before the tour we were told not to take anything so we wouldnt be subject to pickpocketing.  The tour ended up being good because I got to see the better parts of the city.  Then we had a forever long orientation.  Yesterday we had  to get up early to be at the university by 8 so we could have our oral part of our placement test, which I the first one to go, because I didnt' want to set around and wait all day because I wasn't going to get any better at spanish by just setting there. My interview lasted all of 2 minutes, and I thought I had crashed and burned.  So I was pretty freaked out that I wasn't going to place into the class that I needed. Next we had another (way to long) orientation for the university.  The only thing good about it was we good a free shirt, which by the way XL here is more like a medium, so needless to say my shirt doesnt fit.  So that sucked.  So after that a group of us ventured back into the city to the market downtown. Where we tried to make friends with the locals to get better deals on stuff.  I got a set of coasters for 10$ that were originally priced 16. So at 6 we had to go back to the university and check to see what class we were placed into, which litterally are pieced of papers stapled to a board, you would think in an enviornmentally concious country they would find a better way. Luckily I placed into 210, which was what I wanted. And last night all of us went to our first Tico party.  Where some of us had a little to much fun before our first day of classes.
today was our first day of classes.  Which I thought would never end to be honest.  so now i'm working on my homework and I might go out
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: