Hot Mess Express

Trip Start Jan 19, 2013
Trip End Feb 02, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Friday, February 1, 2013

It was good that Carlo and I got to relax a bit, because we had more than a full day ahead of us. We would be traveling back to Bangkok from Siem Reap and the trip would be a long one.  We were picked up by the bus to begin the journey to the boarder and everything went rather smoothly for the three hour trip.  When we got to the border we collected our luggage and headed towards the visa processing and border-crossing.  Getting stamped out of Cambodia was not much of a problem, the line moved rather quickly and we were through the whole process in less than a half an hour.  When we got to the Thailand entrance, we were startled to find a long line that snaked outside and across the courtyard. 

Carlo and I got in line and we were quickly approached by a man who wanted 400 baht per person to "hurry" the process.  He informed us that the line would take three to four hours to get through and Carlo and I both scoffed at the notion.  But, it didn't take long to realize that that probably wasn’t far from the truth.  We stood in the unmoving line, blinking into the glaring sun and trying to make small talk amongst ourselves.  It was a full ten minutes before the line moved forward and when it did move it didn’t budge more than five inches.

Yep, we would be here for quite a while.  And it was around three hours that we stood in line before moving into the building where the visa processing happened.  As we walked through the doors, a French couple pushed past us to get into line.  The wife got in line on the far right and the husband got in line towards the left.  I rolled my eyes as I got in line behind the husband (who previously had been at least five people behind Carlo and me outside).  The French couple shuffled about, obviously trying to figure ways to make their process faster, but being generally annoying to everyone else.  The French husband left his luggage in front of me, moving to another line to see if it was moving faster.  As my line moved forward I stepped around his bag, moving myself closer to the counter.  The French man rushed out of his line, nudging me aside and slipping his luggage back to “hold his place”.  Frustrated and exhausted I burst out at him that he was no longer in this line, he had left this line, his place would not be held in this line because he was now standing in another line.  He tried to explain to me how he was, in fact, in this line, but I was not having it and I very firmly explained to him that he couldn’t be in so many lines at once.  As this was happening, his wife’s line moved forward towards the counter and she was to be next in that line.  The husband gathered up his baggage and joined his wife in her line, much to the annoyance of everyone behind her who had waited their turn.

Finally Carlo and I made it through the Thailand side of the visa processing and were led to a van that would take us to Bangkok.  On the van we met a man named Chris from California.  We spent the next five and a half hours chatting away with Chris about pretty much everything and anything.  It was a long and uncomfortable trip, but it was made much better by having someone there to entertain us.

Eventually we were back in Bangkok and we decided to get a late dinner with Chris before turning in for the night.  Dinner was absolutely delicious and the company continued to be awesome.  After we finished eating we took the Sky Train to meet up with Dave, Carlo’s friend who lives in Thailand.  Dave had gotten us accommodations at his work apartments as a treat for us on the last night of our vacation.  The guest houses that Carlo and I had been staying in were nice, but not quite up to the standards of a nice American hotel…. This place…. This place was nice.  The shower was hot and the water pressure was intense.  The bed was soft and plush.  It was absolutely perfect and both Carlo and I slept well on our last night.

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Mom on

Wow, talk about needing patience! It's amazing that you had to wait so long for visa processing back into Thailand. I'm so glad you had a wonderful vacation, including your last night in Bangkok with another delicious dinner and comfy accommodations..

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: