Trip Start Apr 09, 2007
Trip End Jun 14, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Saturday, May 26, 2007

A few bottles of vodka later, weve made it to Beijing.

The Ger camp in Mongolia was fun, but not quite as authentic as we would have hoped. The national park is basically filled with these little tourist Ger camps. We stayed at one of those. It was nice, very secluded, beautiful scenery. We went to a sacred rock, shaped like a turtle, that you can climb. (Turtles are special to buddhists.) Went to a temple, then went horse back riding for 2 hours. This was reaally cool. Riding through streams and vast Mongolian plains, on basically wild Mongolian Horses. Our horses cooperated most of the time, although sometimes they kinda did their own thing. Unfortunately noone fell off. That night our quide taught us a traditional mongolian game played with sheep ankle bones. We played about 10 games and she only won about 2, pretty sure she was letting us win.

The next morning we went to visit a family nearby. We chatted with the wife for about an hour. They were pretty rich by Nomad standards, they had about 70 sheep, 100 cattle, and 1 horse, all taking care of by just the husband and wife, the kids had since moved away. Our guide tried to teach us some mongolian before we got there, but we had a tough time with thank you, so she taught us an easier version. Well, it turns out she actually taught us how to say I am cute, so we told the old lady that "i am cute" about a thousand times, but she seemed to agree so that was nice. We ate some cookies, homemade cheese, and had some milk tea. Also, there was a man in the tent with us. He didnt really say much. When we left the tent, Hart was positive he had seen him in the restaraunt the night before at our Ger camp. We told him that this was probably true, since he was our driver. Hart thought he was the husband of the family.

After getting back to the city we went to the national history museum, which contained some things from about 300,000 BC. Apparently a lot of evidence of early man has been discovered in Mongolia, as well as a bunch of dinosaur bones. After the museum we went to a show of traditional mongoliuan dance and music, which was very cool. Then for dinner, our guide had made reservations for us at the Mongolian BBQ, but this time we got a meal of lamb that is cooked on hot stones for 5 hours (thus the need to call ahead). It was quite delicious. After dinner, we went to the bar below the restaruant which was called "Detroit". There motto on their sign was "shut up and just drink". We didnt really like being told what to do in that tone, but we decided to take their advice.

The next morning our train left at 0800. It arrived in Beijing at 1400 the next day. Our train was filled with a tour group consisting of mostly Brits, but some Canadians and Irish as well. We became fast friends and drank the night away.

We arrived in Beijing yesterday. I decided to stay in, but Hart and Nick wandered the city for the night. The food is plentiful and cheap (Dinner for 2 and 4 beers was about 4 dollars).
I look forward to stuffing my face with everything in sight. Tonight we are going to try to meet up with the Danes we met on the way to Mongolia.

And yes, Jen, the terra cotta warriors are deffinetly on our list of things to do.

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: