Colca Canyon Trekking - day 3 of 3

Trip Start Aug 29, 2009
Trip End Jul 26, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  , Colca Canyon,
Tuesday, May 18, 2010

We had another good night, with lots of sleep, but had to get up at 5am. Roy served us the big, hot chocolate, before we started walking up the canyon walls. We, I have to mention this, was only Roy, Kat, Ash, Bella and I, since Teresa and Martin decided to take a donkey each to get carried up the way to Cabanaconde. We all were tempted too, but we felt strong and adventurous enough to walk the way without support.

When we were half way up the mountain, panting for air, the donkeys and its passengers galloped passed us. Silvester started barking and another donkey nearly went off the cliff. Luckily it froze just at the edge. Puuhha!

While the first bit up the hill seemed to go by in no time, the last half was very steep and took forever. The group split up, as we all went on our own pace, and probably no one wanted to show the other one the pain they were under. Anyway, after a bit more than 2hours we were up at the Canyon edge, exhausted but happy to have made it. We took a last group picture and then went back to Cabanaconde. There we had our second breakfast. Since we walked so fast, we had enough time for an excessive breakfast, so everyone ordered a second serving of scrambled/fried egg.

The bus took us passed the Condor Cross (didn't stop) and another lookout to Chivay and the local thermal baths. The baths were really nice and hot, which did really well to our stiff bones and sour muscles. When we received our Piņa Coladas and Cuba Libres on the edge of the pool, it felt a bid like the Caribbeans and made us all long for Colombia.

After 50 minutes Roy picked us up and we had to rush to the restaurant to have lunch. There we got more than an hour to dine. The rush, followed by long idle time was something we were accustomed to by now. The buffet wasn’t something Bella and I wanted, so we ordered an avocado sandwich with papas fritas. Yummy!

On the way back to Arequipa we only stopped at the highest point (4910masl) and Roy showed us the different volcanoes around. It was freezing cold outside.

We didn’t stop at the Alpaca farms and the also not at the lakes, but I couldn’t remember that Rocie, the lady in the agency, mentioned that. We all were really tired and slept most of the way anyway.

Even though Bella and I planned to move on to Lima the same night, actually stayed in order to meet with everyone for Mexican, just downstairs from our hostel and lots to drink. Roy invited some friends and so we met a biking dude and some other weird guys. We had the promised Machu Picchu cocktails and a lot of other drinks. All in all a brilliant night!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: