Chaotic Conditions In Chicago

Trip Start Oct 22, 2005
Trip End Jan 29, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  ,
Friday, December 9, 2005

The flight home was the longest ever. And the weather conditions didn't exactly make it any better.
My flight had gotten a bit delayed before arriving in Chicago, but I knew I still had plenty of time before my next flight. It snowed heavily as we landed safely on the runway, and I couldn't help noticing all the planes lined up around us. For an hour and a half we were parked on the runway, waiting for clearance to get to our gate! Needless to say, everybody was getting a bit nervous, as most of us had connecting flights. The only conciliation the stewardesses could give us; was that most planes were delayed, including all of our connecting flights. Normally I would be okay with that, but when I have yet another connecting flight to catch, it can be rather annoying!

You should think that the Worlds busiest airport would be able to handle some bad weather, especially considering they always have some rough winters there?? Sadly no. The blizzard had taken them completely by surprise, and everything seemed to have stopped working.
The heavy snowfall and icy cold weather can have terrible consequences for airplanes. Therefore all ground personnel focused on keeping just one runway perfectly clear, for both take offs and landings, and making sure that all planes were thoroughly de-iced before takeoff. Later on I realized that a plane had slid off the runway in Chicago because of the snow, but from what I understood it wasn't at O'hare.

I was not the only one, who had to reach to the flight to London, so a relieved sigh went through the cabin, when we were told, that we would be able to reach that particular flight. I later discovered that it was no problem at all; we waited for hours to get cleared for take off!! Not even with the help of a strong wind, would I be able to reach my flight in London.
All this time I could feel my heart doing leaps of joy, because of how my trip had taken an unexpected turn. It had turned out way better, than I could possibly have hoped for! My smile was only made bigger by the comment the security guard in Edm.Airport had given me: " We thought you had turned around and stayed by now!?" Without even realizing it, Aaron and I had definitely made ourselves noticeable at the airport!

Once in London, it was a matter of even more waiting, and a last minute game between the stewardesses of who-gets-to-go-on-this-plane? ! Needless to say, some passengers got very upset with the long waiting, but nobody had anything to worry about, they had seats for all twenty of us. They were just trying to figure out where to place us. I drew the lucky number and got the free dinner on 1. class!

Better late than never, I finally set foot in Copenhagen. My parents had waited patiently all day for my call, and they were very happy to finally see me. They will never learn to relax, when their little girl travels around the World. Hence, my next big challenge was going to be quite the nerve wrecker: To tell them about my Canadian boyfriend!!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: