Journey to Paradise

Trip Start Aug 09, 2008
Trip End Aug 23, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Friday, August 8, 2008

This is the most anticipated vacation we ever had. As soon as we returned from our Bahamas vacation we couldn't help but wish its August already so that we can go to Hawaii. We heard a lot of good things about this place called paradise and we want to experience it.
Months turned to weeks then to days. The day has finally arrived. We left home at 0500. There was no traffic and the ride was smooth. We left our SUV in Newark's parking lot. We didn't have to wait long for the airport shuttle. We arrived at the airport around 0700. We already have our boarding pass. We printed it from American Airline's website the previous night. As we checked in our luggage through the curbside we realized that we left our respiratory bag. It has my CPAP and DD2's nebulizer and inhaler. It was an OMG moment. We're about 1 hour and 45 minutes away from home. It's a good thing I have extra inhalers in our carry on.  I can live without my CPAP and DD2's nebulizer is as needed only. Hopefully, with the inhalers, she doesn't need to use the nebs.

We had breakfast at the airport.

We left Newark International Airport on time. We arrived at LAX after about 5 hours and 30 minutes travel time.
There was only Burger King and Chili's nearby for lunch. We choose Chili's. It was too crowded and the wait was long and we were starving. (It was already about 3PM NY time; way passed lunchtime).We can't wait to be seated. We went to the take out counter and placed our order. While DH was waiting for our food we chose a spot where we can be comfortable while waiting for the next flight. We have about 3 hours wait before our next flight. When DH came with our food he was so excited to tell us that he saw Brooke Shield and Raven Simone. (He's always lucky with this celebrity sighting. Last year in Vegas, it was David Hasselhoff). DD1 was so excited to hear about Raven. She does not know who Brooke Shield is. We told her she's Hannah Montana's Mom.
 When it was about time to board, AA made an announcement that our flight is delayed due to mechanical problem. Now we have to wait another hour ..... then two hours. They finally decided to change airplanes. Oh well, its better that they found the problem now and fix it. We don't want to do emergency landing anywhere. AA did that a week ago. I don't even want to imagine the worst. We boarded at 5:30 PM LA time). We were taxied to the runway and was preparing to take off, when the engine died. We have to go back to the gate and wait for another 2 hours for it to get fix. OMG! What else can go wrong?  I've never prayed so hard in my whole life. Now I am hungry and have a headache. Airlines nowadays don't serve food. You have to purchase it; $10.00 for a turkey sandwich with chips. I don't even eat turkey sandwich. But there's no other choice. It took us about 4 hours and 45 minutes to HNL. At this time we already travelled for 24 hours.
I booked a limousine ride for us, my surprise for the family. Melvin Kim from ABC limo was already waiting at the baggage claim area holding a piece of card board with our name on it and leis for everybody. The lei smell so good. It was a mixture of plumeria and orchid. We got our three pieces of luggage and were waiting for the other one when our name was called. It turned out that the other luggage did not make it with us. It will arrive at 12:30 AM on the next flight. Our PJ's and toiletries are in that luggage. AA gave each of us a toiletry kit.

There was a box of macadamia nuts, soda, and bottled water waiting for us in the limo. We arrived at Marriott Waikiki about 11PM, HI time which is 5AM NY time. Marriott Waikiki Lobby looks like a rainforest with plants all over and a mini waterfall in the middle.  We are on the 14th floor Room 1470 with a balcony and partial view of Diamond Head and the ocean. With our Marriott Rewards points we only paid $40.00 for the room. As always Marriott has the most comfortable bed and the fluffiest pillows; very comfy.

The following day as we walked along Kalakaua Ave. towards Duke's, we were amazed at the number of ABC stores we saw. We had breakfast at Duke's. The food was excellent. We love it. After breakfast the kids went swimming in Waikiki Beach. We checked out of Marriott Waikiki at 11:15AM.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: