Etosha National Park

Trip Start Mar 01, 2009
Trip End May 28, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Namibia  ,
Sunday, March 15, 2009

We arrived at the first camp site in Etosha (S. E part).  It was a blazing hot day, but the campsite had a pool which was really good to chill out in.  We went down to the watering hole in the evening to check out the game, as it's the wet season there are lots of places for the animals to drink so they didn't appear that night....until after I'd left!  During the night there were lots of animal noises and even though the camp ground was fenced off I'm pretty sure there were jackals about!  In the morning when we were packing down the tents (after the 6am game drive) there were tens of Mongoose around.  I wouldn't want to mess with them as apparently they can kill snakes.

The weather has been really hot.  During the day on the game drives we are able to open the roof seats and have 4 people at the front of the truck and 4 at the back.  I spent far too long up top and looked a little frazzled by the end of the day.  We spent 7 hours crossing from East to West within the park and saw Impala, Zebra, Giraffe, Rhino. Oryx, Wilderbeast and Jackals to name a few.  The scenery is amazing, as are the sunsets.  We got to camp around 4pm and everyone was ready for a swim as it was at least 35 C.  I have become very adept at erecting and dismanting our tent, as we were getting a reputation for always being last! :-)

I think I should be wearing my glasses a bit more often, as I keep spotting what I think are animals and then find out they are not...trees without leaves in the distances are not dissimilar to Giraffes, Bush huts have a striking resemblence to Elephants and there have been several rocks which I would have sworn were Rhinos!!

The Okaukuejo Resort was great, we had our own bush kitchen which makes life so much easier.  We went out for a game drive at sunset looking for lions, but there were none to be seen. They are really hard to spot.  There was a big thunder storm and quite a few of the tents got soaked inside and out, we were fortunate not to have pitched ours in a potential puddle!  A couple of people had caused the trip leader some grief, one because she thought her tent was being attacked by Jackals in the night ( and it was her tent sheet flapping) and the other for letting her sun hat blow off...which led to a Naval Vodka Shot incident.... I'm not naming any names, but let's just say I've got my hat back! Another early morning start (5.30am....yawn, yawn!) to make our way to the bush camp near Spitzkoppe.  On the way out of the camp we spotted a Male and Female lion on one side of the road and another male on the other side, litterally just 500 metres from the gates!  We were really lucky.  We stopped off in Outjo for lunch, there wasn't a lot going on there. 

I think there must have been a job lot of Man Utd shirts shipped to Namibia as they are the only football shirts I have seen, yet when you ask them who their favourite players are they don't seem to know. Maybe they just like red shirts?!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: