You think you got Speed?
Trip Start Jan 09, 2008
44Trip End May 15, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Rio when we arrived was really beautiful because the weather had just turned and looks like it will be a few good days ahead of us. For the first day was spent walking around Copacabana and Ipanema, which are the most famous beaches in Rio where most locals and tourist go. The sand is soft and the water temperature is just like hawaii, but there is some trash floating in the water
For my second day, i also spent most of it at the beach, but at night we went to this Favella Funk Party, which is apparantly a party in a Favella where locals and tourist can drink and dance together. After a roundabout way with our tour operator we finally arrived at this so called Favella at about 12 midnight. I looked around at this Favella and it didnt look that bad. The buildings look like they would hold up in a windstorm. I saw worst in philippines and cambodia. Here we got into a club where there was an upstairs and downstairs. Upstairs was for all the gringos and some richer locals. We had our own bar and dance floor. It was cool, but the real fun and action was on the first floor cause everyone was downstairs and with the mix of gringos and locals. it was really fun especially as we had more drinks. The locals were really happy to see me cause i was the only asian in the entire club and everyone was high fiving me as i entered the dance floor. it was awesome. We had to leave at 4:15 cause the party was over. i probably could have gone longer, but our tour guide reiterated to us that he was leaving and i didnt want to get left in this neighborhood
The next day, i shrugged off the hangover and went on a city tour. We saw most of what Rio is famous for,
1. The Famous Christ de Redentor, which is one of the new 7 wonders of the world. Its an amazing feat but I dont agree with this classification. I could probably name ten places that are more impressive than this statue on a hill. Ankor Wat, Teotihuacan,Tical,....get my drift.
2. Maracana Stadium where the famous rio team la flamengos play.
3. Sambodromo which is where the famous Carnival is held.
4. Metropolitan Cathedral of Rio
5. Pao de Azucar or sugar loaf mountain. we are suppose to end the day at sunset here, but like all tours we missed it. it was still cool cause i got some good night shots of rio.
it was an amazing day of sights and we saw so many things in so little time. I would recommend the tour cause it includes all of the tickets to enter these places with little hassle.