Weekend at the beach!

Trip Start Jul 31, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Guanacaste,
Saturday, September 15, 2012

Well after all the excitement of the earthquake at school I was definitely ready for a weekend away. There was only one problem, the place we planned on going was close to the epicenter of the earthquake and to get there we would be driving pretty much through the epicenter. We made some calls and knew that if we could get there there were hotels with electricity and water so we should be fine. We decided to risk it and go on an adventure. We left Friday right after school. We had no idea what the roads would look like. We didn't know if there would be road closures, land slides or closed bridges. Well we lucked out because on the way there we had no problems. It was smooth sailing the whole way, which was great. We got there around 8:00PM. It is about a 4 hour drive from Escazu. We first went to the hotel we had booked. We didn't have high hopes for it because we hadn't been able to get in touch with them after the earthquake but decided to check it out. When we go there we were informed that they were closed due to damage that some of the villas sustained during the earthquake. They said that about 1/3 of their rooms had damage. We were pretty bummed because we had booked at a super nice place because we had 50% off coupons. Though now I will get to stay at the super nice place for cheap when Kevin comes to visit :) Since we couldn't stay there we got some recommendations for other places to stay in town. We check another hotel that didn't have room because they also had some damage. Luckily our third try worked out for us. We found a cheap place to stay. We went straight to the beach and had dinner on the beach. The next morning we were awakened bright and early with an aftershock of the big earthquake. Luckily it was a quick one. We then got up to a bright and sunny day and headed to the beach, about a 3 minute walk from our hotel. We set up our camp for the day. I started in the sun and after about 30 minutes of sitting there uncomfortably moved my camp to the shade! Me and the hot, hot sun don't mix too well. But it doesn't get much better that sitting under a palms tree, feeling the cool breeze listening to the ocean! I was very content sitting there all day. It was also a very quiet weekend in Samara due to the earthquake. One of the other teachers said he had never seen it so quiet. There was never more than 20 people on the whole beach. It was like we had the place to ourselves. It was a much better beach than the one I went to the weekend before. Softer sand, smaller waves, clearer water, restaurants right on the beach and shade nice and close for me! We at lunch right on the beach with our toes in the sand. On our walk back along the beach after lunch we got to feel our second aftershock. This was such a crazy feeling standing with my feet right in the sand and feeling the ground shake while looking out at the ocean. It really reminder you of just how powerful the earth can be! After that we headed back to the hotel. Unfortunately, since it is rainy season you usually don't get more that 1/2 a day of sun before the downpours start. But it was a nice excuse to get a nap! That night we went out for the most delicious dinner. It was a place that grills all of there food. I got a fish filet and it came with other veggies. It was so yummy! Definitely a place I will go back to. After dinner we met up with pretty much everyone else what was in the small town at a local bar. Since there were so few people in town everyone kind of congregated at one place. We sat and had some drinks before calling it a night. The next morning we didn't get much sunshine. It was a little cloudy which was ok. I opted to go for a nice long walk on the beach. I walked pretty much the whole stretch of the beach. It was so relaxing! Nothing better then the water washing up on your toes as you are walking along the beach. After my walk we all headed in to get cleaned up so we could hit the road early. We ended up leaving Samara around 1:45. We headed out of town the the same road we came in by but after getting 30 minutes outside of town we came to a sign saying the road was closed. This meant we had to go all the way back to Samara and head out of town the other way. That added another hour to our drive and also going this other way meant much curvier roads up and down the huge hills. We came to one big landslide, but we were able to pass it. Then our road turned to gravel road for a while too. So that added major bumps to all the curvy roads! We were pretty excited to hit pavement but that didn't last too long because we came to a stand still in traffic. People were out of their cars and there was no traffic coming from the other way. We didn't know what was going on. We ended up sitting there for 1 hour before we got moving. Finally we made it back into Escazu 6 hours later. It was a great trip, full of adventure! I am excited to get back there only next time with Kevin! :)

Hasta Luego!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: