Trip Start Jun 18, 2009
72Trip End Aug 01, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
My three week vacation to America in July became somewhat of a blur. I want to say a big THANK YOU to all my friends and family for making a wonderful trip home. Spending time with all of you made me realize just how much I have missed you during this past year.
I will fill you in on some of the highlights of my trip home! I arrived back in MN during 4th of July weekend. Initailly it was very strange to be back. Everything looks so much different than in Taiwan
Upon returning to Elk River I spent the next couple days meeting up with friends. Later in the week I headed out to Eau Claire to spend some time with Krystal. We had a busy 3 days. The first thing on our to-do list was.....shopping!!! I was so excited to go to a normal shopping mall where things come in more than just size small and I could try things on! We hit the mall and did a lot of damage to my credit card. Shopping was a little difficult at first. I was a little sticker shocked coming from Taiwan. I am not used to spending more than $10 on any clothes that I buy. But eventually I got over it and we had a fun day shopping
On my way out of Eau Claire I was able to meet up with a friend from Milwaukee who happened to be in town for some softball. I spent a day watching middle school softball with my friend Amy. It was a nice surprise to get to see her! The rest of the week was spent with more dinner dates and shopping trips! It was so nice to get to catch up with friends!
While I was home I had a Welcome Home/See ya later party. Despite having some nasty weather come through we were able to still have a good time! Thank you to everyone who braved the storm to come and see me. It was nice to see you all!
Another fun night was our annual Mother/Daughter Night. This is a night where a good group of friends from high school get together with our moms for a night out
While I was home there happened to be a St. Mary's Alumni event going on. They had chartered a boat on Lake Minnetonka for a boat cruise. I was able to meet up with some old St. Mary's friends and enjoy a beautiful night out of the lake. After enjoying some drinks on the cruise we then went over to Maynard's for some more drinks and fun! We had a great night in true SMU style! ;)
After a very busy three weeks and an empty bank account it was time to return to Taiwan. Though it will be my most expensive vacation I have ever taken....it was worth it! Thanks for the gifts, hugs and well wishes! They all mean a lot to me! I am already looking forward to seeing you all next summer!
Before I finish this blog I will fill you in on some of the "reverse culture shock" moments or the little things I liked or disliked about being home:
- hearing everyone speaking English.....it was really hard not to want to eavesdrop on everyones conversations because I could actually understand
-upon landing in San Fransisco traveling immediately became not fun
- GAS!! I spent just about the same amount on gas for my truck in 3 weeks as I did for my scooter all year! That is crazy! I think I need to buy a scooter in MN!
- walking into a cold house was weird! I am used to needing to turn on my air conditioner when I enter a room and then turn it off when I leave
- I enjoyed the simple things.....no helmet hair, the lack of humidity, cool summer nights
- I loved being able to call people and not think about a 13 hr time difference and think about if they would be awake or not!
- it was nice not being limited in what I could do or eat because of the language barrier
- I did not like how expensive everything is! It is crazy! I don't think I can afford to live in the states now! haha
- I enjoyed eating lots of good Mexican and American Chinese food! YUMMY! They don't have that here in Taiwan!
Though I am sure there are many other things I will leave it at that for now! I will write another blog soon and catch you up on my transition back to Taiwan! As always, love you and miss you!