Back to the Farm

Trip Start Jun 15, 2013
Trip End Jul 17, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
N/a'an Ku SÍ
What I did
N/a'an Ku Sê

Flag of Namibia  ,
Saturday, July 6, 2013

Woke up and had two lemon poppy seed muffins for breakfast. Yum! (Don't ask me to eat this when I get home, I will refuse… I really don’t like them, but when it comes down to those, cereal with weird tasting milk, or bread with jam, warm muffins are a go no matter what flavor they are).

Duke Matt had me set up for another round of counting and recording animals captured on camera traps. I got through nearly half of the photos (there were about 5000 total) before deciding to enjoy my last long, hot shower before returning to the farm. I probably spent entirely too long in the shower, but it felt so hot and nice, and I didn’t know when I would experience that nice of one again.

Then I counted some more animals, paid my Neuras tab, and got ready to head off to meet the N/a’an Ku SÍ minibus. We got a group picture before saying goodbye to Duke Matt and Noodle. Then we were off.

On the way to the farm we stopped at a convenience store, and, much to my delight, they had the wonderful little chicken and mayonnaise filled pastry that I had had on my way to Sossusvlei. It was nowhere near as good, but I was still satisfied.

I hardly recognized anyone at the farm. Since I had been gone for nearly two weeks, so many new people had arrived, and almost all of the people I remembered had already left. I learned that I was assigned a tent (not excited) for the week and that my Australian counterpart, Fiona, is my roomie (very excited). We relocated all of our stuff into our tent. The tent is actually quite large… We have two beds in the "bedroom" portion, and we also have a large living area with an area for clothes that can be zipped up and blocked from the bedroom part. We also have a deck that has two lawn chairs. Don’t get too excited, it literally is everything I just listed, and nothing more.

We made it back in time for the Saturday night entertainment. We walked to the San village (about a 10 minute walk) and Solomon, one of the hired tour guides and N/a’an Ku Se, hosted a show that was comprised of choreographed modern dancing as well as traditional dancing and singing from the village people.

We returned to the farm to enjoy a braai. I was quite pleased to learn that pork chops were served in place of lamb chops (last night) in addition to game sausage. I didn’t have any game sausage tonight, but did enjoy two chops. We also enjoyed hot wine. In addition to the braai, the farm was raising money for the baby baboon enclosure (the one I dug the waterhole for a few weeks ago), so they sold beverages, including the wine, for $10 Namibian ($1 USD).

I was pleased that the Neuras group stuck together the whole night and enjoyed each other’s company.

Tomorrow I am going into Windhoek to go to the mall, eat at a beer house, and stop at the taxidermy/souvenir shop. Get to sleep in an hour though, so that will be quite nice!

Good night!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: